Dealing with greasy hair can be a hassle that most people want to avoid, and with the right shampoo, you can do just that.
There are many products that can help in removing the build-up of residue, oils, and impurities in your hair so that it becomes lighter, healthier, and more vibrant.
This post covers the best shampoos for oily hair and some factors to keep in mind as you choose one for yourself.
1. L'Oreal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Clay Rebalancing Shampoo
- Shampoo for oily roots and dry ends
- Up to 48HR purified roots plus hydrated ends*
- Fresh flowing hair
- Purifies and hydrates
- L'Oreal Paris Hair Expert is now L'Oreal Paris Elvive - new look, same amazing formula
If you have an oily hair type, you might have realized that the more you wash it, the more the ends of the strands dry while the scalp gets more oily. You can now break out of this vicious cycle with the Elvive Extraordinary Clay Rebalancing Shampoo, one of the best shampoos for oily hair on the market.
This shampoo and conditioner system is silicone-free and can revive the oily roots, and dry strand ends to restore your hair to a vibrant state. It is specifically designed to purify your root hairs while hydrating the ends so that your hair will look fresh for 48 hours from the roots to the tips.
The hydration function takes hold instantly without adding weight to your hair so that your head doesn't feel overly heavy. The Elvive Extraordinary Clay Rebalancing Shampoo has three refined clays that are clinically tested for rebalancing and hydrating greasy hair and are also safe for color-treated hair. It also contains Salicylic acid and sodium Laureth sulfate, which combine to fight grease accumulation on the scalp.
If you suffer excess oil build-up on the scalp and drying on the ends, this shampoo is the ideal solution for your situation.
2. Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying Shampoo
- 6-fluid ounce bottle of Neutrogena anti-residue clarifying shampoo to help remove up to 90% of heavy, dulling residue caused by shampoos,...
- This non-irritating clarifying shampoo gently cleanses your hair and helps boost volume by instantly rinsing away build-up
- Use our anti-residue shampoo only once a week to see your favorite daily shampoo work even better, and help stop bad hair days
- Weekly clarifying shampoo features a gentle and mild formula that is recommended for all hair types and is gentle enough even for...
- Gentle hair shampoo is designed as an easy, once-a-week treatment to remove heavy build-up from hair and leaves it feeling thoroughly...
In the search for strong, healthy hair, many people end up using chemicals, conditioners, and styling products that cause a dulling residue to form. Fortunately, the Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying shampoo is formulated to remove about 90% of product build-up to give you clean and rejuvenated hair from the scalp to the strand ends.
This shampoo is non-irritating, which means that it is gentle enough to use without developing itchiness or discomfort. As you use it, this mild product will remove the residue and excess oil that cause bad hair while boosting your hair volume and leaving it thoroughly clean. That is why the Neutrogena Anti-Residue is one of the best shampoos for oily hair types you can buy.
You only have to apply this shampoo once a week, and you'll realize that even your daily shampoo will work better alongside this treatment. It is suitable for all hair types and is also great for color-treated hair. The weekly use will leave your hair feeling lighter and more robust.
3. R+Co Oblivion Clarifying Shampoo
- Removes product + mineral build up
- Helps cleanse
- Mild enough for daily use
The Oblivion shampoo is one of the ways to get your hair feeling clean, full, and strong every day. With the lemon, eucalyptus, tangerine, crisp amber extracts, you can enjoy a natural fragrance that will make your hair smell like paradise.
The main ingredients in this shampoo are Rosemary leaf extract, amino acids, coconut oil, and witch hazel. These combine with purifying your hair by eliminating unwanted buildup, increasing your porosity, and strengthening your strands.
As a result, it helps lock in moisture, causing your hair to appear naturally lustrous and soft while increasing its strength. The tea tree oil in this shampoo removes the buildup of residue from hair products and minerals from hard water.
This product is an excellent choice for managing oil production while promoting a weightless treatment that is mild on your scalp. Daily use of the Oblivion clarifying shampoo will leave your hair feeling more natural and radiant from root to tip.
4. Head & Shoulders Green Apple Anti-Dandruff Shampoo and Conditioner
- Head & Shoulders Classic Clean Anti-Dandruff shampoo fights flakes and leaves your scalp clean
- From the scalp care experts; the makers of America's #1 dandruff shampoo* (*based on volume sales)
- Multi-symptom relief offers proven protection from flakes, itch* and dryness (*flakes and itch associated with dandruff)
- Convenient 2 in 1 formula nourishes hair and scalp while cleansing and hydrating
- The lasting scent of green apples leaves your hair smelling fresh and clean
Oil production on the scalp and root hairs can easily lead to dandruff without the proper treatment. While you normally would require two different products to handle your oiliness and dandruff, the Head & Shoulders Green Apple gives you the best of both worlds. This 2-n-1 anti-dandruff shampoo and conditioner is the comprehensive solution to your greasy hair needs.
This clinically tested product is recommended by dermatologists and is an effective way of getting rid of dryness, itch, and skin flakes on your oily scalp. With its fresh green apple scent, you can conveniently add this product to your daily routine to get sweet-smelling and flake-free hair, making it one of the best shampoos for oily hair to buy.
Regular use of the Head & Shoulders Green Apple anti-dandruff shampoo will protect and nourish your scalp to prevent dryness, flakes, and itchiness. The pH-balanced formula can combat seborrheic dermatitis and other irritable scalp conditions associated with dandruff.
With the natural scents from almond oil, tea tree oil, and lemon extract, you can use this shampoo and conditioner system on all curly or textured hairs, even if it has color treatment.
5. Christophe Robin Purifying Shampoo With Jujube Bark Extract
- FOR: Greasy roots and dry ends WHEN: Every day TEXTURE: Light and airy texture Benefits: Regulates excess of sebum ; Permanently eliminates...
- Directions: Apply on wet hair, emulsify then rinse abundantly. Alternate with the cleansing purifying scrub with sea salt once a week. For...
- Regulates excess of sebum ; Permanently eliminates dandruff ; Calms itchiness ; Makes hair light and shiny.
If you have an oily hair type, the Christophe Robin Purifying Shampoo with Jujube Bark extract is one of the best options on the market for you. This product will rebalance and calm your strands using natural active ingredients that minimize dandruff, excess oil production, and scalp itchiness.
It is an excellent treatment for greasy root hairs and dry ends in the strands. While it can properly regulate an oily scalp, it also hydrates the dry strands to make your hair light and shiny all through. The Jujube bark extract makes this purifying shampoo a perfect solution for permanently eliminating dandruff, making it among the best shampoos for oily hair.
6. Pantene Volume Shampoo and Sulfate-Free Conditioner Kit
- You will receive (1) 25.4 oz Shampoo and (1) 24.oz oz Conditioner
- Lightweight volumizing conditioner adds volume, lift, and control when used as a system with Sheer Volume Shampoo and Volume Root Lifting...
- Volume shampoo contains a super light, silicone-free formula that preps hair for volume
- Volumizing collection helps prevent protein loss with a damage-defying antioxidant formula
- Go big or go home when paired with the entire Sheer Volume Collection and styling products.
The Pantene Volume shampoo and conditioner is what you need to give your hair the voluminous and vibrant look you desire. This Pro-V Sheer Volume shampoo will deliver moisture and gentle formula to your scalp and strands so that your hair looks fuller, lifted, and more controlled while reducing excess oil.
With every wash, you can rest assured that your greasy hair will get the nourishment and cleansing it needs to look moisturized and squeaky clean. It is a great way of giving your hair the treatment it needs without residue accumulation weighing it down.
The Pro-V nutrients and silicone-free formula work together to wrap all your hair strands in micro-moisturizers that add softness and strength to your hair by preventing protein loss.
7. Maple Holistics Natural Clarifying Shampoo
- Oily Hair Shampoo - Degrease is one the most popular purifying shampoo oily hair formulas that can tackle some of the most common hair...
- Dandruff Tip - One of the best ways to combat flaking and itchy scalp is to ditch your artificial dandruff shampoo with damaging sulfates...
- Sulfate Free Clarifying Shampoo for Build Up - Say goodbye to tricky buildup in your hair and scalp with our Degrease formula featuring...
- Oily Scalp Shampoo - Better hair begins at the scalp and our oily and dry scalp shampoo for men and women features some of the finest...
- Maple Holistics Quality - We believe in using real ingredients for real results that is why we created our sulfate and paraben free shampoo...
One of the best treatments for greasy hair is this Natural Clarifying shampoo. You can eliminate grease build-up from your oily hair and scalp with this sulfate-free formula. This product works from the scalp all the way to the end of your strands to remove excess oil and add moisture to your dry scalp.
The Maple Holics Natural Clarifying Shampoo can address all the common beauty concerns, including dandruff flakes and hair loss. That is why it's among the best shampoos for oily hair available on the market.
Since it uses natural active ingredients, you can be sure that this product will deliver an irritant-free and hypoallergenic experience for all hair types and color-treated hair.
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Shampoo for Oily Hair
1. The Best Types of Shampoos for Oily Hair
There are several types of shampoos suitable for people with oily and greasy hair. Let's take a look at them below
- Clarifying Shampoo
This type of shampoo is much like a standard shampoo but is more potent since it has heavy surfactants as active ingredients. These soapy components help get rid of grease, residue, and impurities that quickly accumulate in oily hair to give you squeaky clean strands.
The surfactants are strong in nature, making clarifying shampoos more intense than the usual types. As such, using these shampoos more than twice a week could make your hair excessively dry and frizzy. People with color-treated hair should be careful with these shampoos since the heavy surfactants can cause permanent damage.
- Everyday Shampoos
Some people will prefer to treat their hair o a regular basis. In such a case, an everyday shampoo is an ideal option since it features a mild formula that is gentle enough to use daily. This shampoo is safe to use without an adverse effect on your oily hair and scalp.
Everyday shampoos can clean your hair without stripping your scalp off the natural oils necessary for healthy hair. The active cleaning agents in this type of shampoo will keep hair moisturized, glossy, and healthy treat conditions like dandruff and itchiness with minimal risk of damage.
- Sulfate-Free Shampoo
This type of shampoo excludes sulfate ingredients from the formula. Sulfates are a form of surfactants that are effective in removing grime and dead cells. However, they also strip the natural oils from your scalps, making hair brittle and dry and irritates sensitive scalps.
This is why people with greasy hair could prefer a shampoo that is free from sulfate ingredients. As you choose your shampoo, you should ensure it doesn't have sodium Laureth sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate, and ammonium laureth sulfate. These three are the main sulfate compounds readily found in beauty products.
2. Know the Oiliness of Your Hair Type
The next thing to keep in mind as you look for a suitable shampoo is the type of hair you have. This will help you make the best choice as you will select a product that will meet your needs appropriately. There are three primary types; dry, regular, and oily hair.
- Oily Hair
Most people with oily skin also have an oily scalp and hair. This means you have high oil production and secretion, which can make hair look dull and lifeless. Even with shampoo treatment, this hair quickly reverts to an oily and greasy state within a day or two. The excess oil build-up also causes dandruff development, which can easily cause hair loss. The products in this review are the best for people with oily hair.
- Normal Hair
This is the most uncommon type of hair and is easy to handle with minimal challenge. This hair appears healthy, shiny and features minimal hair loss. It doesn't quickly develop dandruff or other problematic hair conditions. The best shampoo for this hair is the one without any sulfate, and it should be regularly conditioned.
- Dry Hair
People with dry hair often have inactive oil glands, which means insufficient production of natural oils in the scalp. It looks dry and frizzy and could get worse with exposure to the sun, application of harsh treatments, and shampoos. The ends easily split or break, and there is high hair loss.
Those with this hair should use deep conditioners while avoiding shampooing their hair daily since it could cause further drying.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What shampoo is best for oily hair?
The overall best shampoo for oily hair is the L'Oreal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Clay Rebalancing Shampoo, which balances the oil from your scalp to your strand ends.
2. How do I stop my hair from being so oily?
If it's very oily, you should consider using an everyday shampoo regularly. Additionally, use conditioners and other products specifically made for oily hairs.
3. Why is my hair so oily?
Oily hair is caused by the overproduction of sebum by the sebaceous glands. The sebum helps to keep the hair healthy, smooth and prevents drying out and breakage. Nevertheless, too much can cause the hair to look glossy and greasy.