So, your face is always greasy, and on top of that, you tend to break out faster than light travel—quite the pickle. People with acne-prone skin often have to deal with hyperpigmentation, which can be quite daunting and sometimes cause low self-esteem.
Sure, you want the full coverage, but the last thing you want is to do is clog your pores, causing fresh breakouts and trapping you in the vicious cycle of concealing and causing acne. Don’t worry. You can achieve both. Dermatologists recommend using a lightweight, non-comedogenic, and oil-free formula foundation.
This unnerving quest will need you to know your skin type, skin tone, what ingredients work for you, and those that shouldn’t be in the formulation. When shopping, scan labels for components such as Aloe Vera, Antimicrobial peptide 10, Retinols, Salicylic acid, Hyaluronic acid, and Zinc Oxide.
Please note, a good foundation cannot replace good skincare, especially for people with acne-prone skin or sensitive skin. These base-makeup champs give you just the right amount of coverage, are non-comedogenic, and won’t give a 'cakey' layered finish.
Best Foundation for Acne-prone skin
1. Ilia Super Serum Skin Tint Coverage SPF 40
- WHAT IT IS: An Award-Winning Tinted Serum With Light, Dewy Coverage, Mineral SPF, + Active Levels Of Skincare Ingredients.
- WHAT TO KNOW: This Clean Skin Tint Combines Makeup, Skincare, + SPF Into One Step. With Every Wear, Skincare Actives Visibly Hydrate,...
- KEY INGREDIENTS: Niacinamide Helps Visibly Smooth Skin Texture + Refine Uneven Tone, Hyaluronic Acid Helps Plump Skin + Replenish Moisture...
- SHADE: Balos (Very Light, Neutral Cool Undertones)
- CLEAN QUALITY: Vegan, Cruelty-Free, Silicone-Free, Fragrance-Free, Oil-Free + Non-Comedogenic. Safe For Sensitive Skin +...
A clean, light-coverage, tinted mineral foundation with SPF 40 serum formula fuses skincare, makeup, and sun protection into one easy step. With a blend of Hyaluronic Acids, plant-based Squalene, and Niacinamide to soften wrinkles, reduce acne and fade out imperfections, it dries down to a natural, dewy finish.
And that’s not all. It also creates a natural barrier for your skincare by sealing in hydration, plumping the skin, and boosting any antioxidant efficiency by 200%. The SPF 40 coverage with 12% Non-Nano Zinc Oxide safely shields skin from UVA, UVB, UVC, Blue light, and infrared rays. Non-nano means that the Zinc Oxide particle is not small enough to enter your bloodstream and therefore is the safest form of SPF both for you and the environment.
This skin tint coverage is gluten-free, silicone-free, fragrance-free, chemical screen-free, non-comedogenic, and safe for sensitive and acne-prone skin. Since it’s a silicone-free formula, some natural separation may occur, so you are advised to shake well before use. Additionally, the shade will appear lighter but will adapt to its true colour within a minute.
Decoded, the SPF 40 means that within five minutes of sun exposure, this serum skin tint will offer you 40 times that time in the sun before burning. When you do the math, 40 x 5 minutes gives you more than 3 hours in the sun under all-round full protection. We also recommend you apply during your morning routine and reapply after every 2 hours.
2. Maybelline New York Fit Me Matte Finish + Poreless Foundation for Acne-prone Skin
- Maybelline Fit Me Matte Foundation: For a natural looking medium coverage liquid foundation makeup, look no further; In 40 shades, you'll...
- A Shade That Fits Me: Maybelline Fit Me liquid foundation provides coverage for a wide array of skin tones, from Ivory to Mocha; Use as a...
- Maybelline Fit Me For A Flawless Face: With Matte + Poreless foundation or Dewy+ Smooth foundation with SPF 18, concealer, finishing powder,...
- Maybelline has what you need to create any look: foundation, bb creams and concealers to create a perfect canvas, eyeshadows, brow pencils...
- Remove Maybelline Makeup With Micellar Water: Use Garnier Micellar Water as a gentle makeup remover at night, and as a facial cleanser in...
This best-selling drugstore foundation not only offers medium to full coverage but also gives you a gorgeous matte finish that lasts all day without settling into pores. It contains blurring micro-powders that blur large pores and absorb oil for a naturally matte finish.
This specific pick is best suited for normal to oily acne-prone skin but has an alternative dewy and smooth iteration that’s perfect for normal to dry acne-prone skin. It hydrates and nourishes your skin for the ultimate natural face look. A little goes a long way.
Most users encourage the use of fingers to blend. For some reason, it applies very smoothly and evenly. Its affordable price tag is noteworthy, but its formulation comes in an impressive array of 40 shades. This means that it captures the fair to very dark skin tones.
3. Your Skin But Better CC Cream with SPF 50+
- AWARD-WINNING CC+ CREAM Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream works beautifully as your full-coverage foundation, hydrating serum and SPF 50+...
- INSTANT COMPLEXION PERFECTION - This full-coverage foundation reduces the appearance of acne scarring, wrinkles, redness, dark circles under...
- MULTITASKING BEAUTY MIRACLE - Our all-in-one makeup provides clinically tested hydration while diffusing the look of skin imperfections for...
- SKIN-LOVING INGREDIENTS - Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream is infused with hydrolyzed collagen, peptides, niacinamide, hyaluronic acid,...
- IT REALLY WORKS - With clinical insights from plastic surgeons, plus ingredient and skincare expertise from dermatologists, IT Cosmetics...
Maybe a natural all-day dewy face look is achievable after all. This super lightweight colour-correcting, tinted moisturiser offers full coverage. The creamy consistency means you don't need a brush or makeup sponge to blend it in and ensure no streaky lines are left on the application.
It’s loaded with hydrating, scar fading, and acne-reducing ingredients like Hyaluronic acid, Niacinamide, Peptides, and collagen. The added Zinc Oxide and Titanium dioxide are mineral sunscreens (SPF 50), a bonus. Most sunscreens have a thick, goopy consistency, but the added SPF doesn't change its consistency.
It is best suited for normal to dry skin that is acne-prone, but there’s also an oil-free iteration that gives a matte finish for oily skin. Another popular iteration includes one that contains light-reflective pigments for that extra glow. It also acts as a primer, therefore, eliminating the need for that extra step.
4. Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Foundation for Acne-prone Skin
- Long-wearing makeup with 15-hour staying power. Looks flawless and natural. Lasts through heat, humidity, non-stop activity.
- Won't change color, smudge or come off on clothes. Feels lightweight and comfortable.
- For a look that lasts all day, without touchups.
- Semi-matte. Oil-free. Fragrance-free
Price tag be damned, this double wear, stay-in-place, demi-matte liquid foundation with SPF10/PA++ is long-lasting and lives up to its claim. The foundation provides a flawless, medium to full coverage and heavy-duty shine-control that gives you that natural fresh face, ideal for a workday, weekend, or workout session. It’s best applied with a beauty sponge on well-moisturized skin.
The waterproof foundation lasts for 24 hours without any touch-ups needed and doesn't rub off on clothes. The foundation gives the most flawless finish, covering blemishes and blurring large pores like a second skin. What’s even better, you don’t even need a concealer or primer with this.
It works best for people with oily skin, but those with dry skin can also use it as long as they moisturise well before applying the foundation. The range of colours runs from a yellow/golden tint to brown to pink shades and can cater to the fair to dark skin.
5. Neutrogena SkinClearing Oil-Free Acne and Blemish Fighting Liquid Foundation
- 1-fluid ounce of Neutrogena SkinClearing Acne Fighting Liquid Foundation Makeup with .5% Salicylic Acid Acne Medicine in shade Natural Ivory...
- Formulated for acne-prone skin, it is the first and only liquid makeup foundation with MicroClear technology that not only treats blemishes,...
- This liquid face makeup for acne-prone skin provides natural and breathable coverage, controls shine, and rapidly cuts through oil for fast...
- This oil-free acne fighting foundation contains .5% salicylic acid acne medicine to provide fast acne relief and help fight acne breakouts
- Developed by dermatologists and designed for acne-prone skin. This acne foundation comes in a variety of shades and is formulated to be...
If you have acne-prone skin, then hyperpigmentation can be a pain, so why not treat your breakouts while concealing them. Neutrogena skin clearing liquid make up is a classic, oil-free, skin long-wear fluid makeup powered by 0.5 per cent salicylic acid to kill acne-causing bacteria and help control breakouts.
For anti-ageing, it has a brilliant set of actives such as Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Vitamin E, Aloe Vera leaf extract and Matricaria flower extract. The Ascorbic Acid helps in improving the rate of turnover of skin and fading of scars. It also offers UV Protection by use of Titanium Dioxide.
Developed by dermatologists and designed for acne-prone skin, this liquid makeup acne foundation is oil-free, hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic. It makes use of a MicroClear technology that not only treats blemishes but also helps prevent emerging acne. It provides a natural and breathable coverage that controls shine and is designed for all types of skin.
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Foundation for Acne-Prone Skin
We all agree that natural bare skin is great, but if you are dealing with acne, hyperpigmentation, and other skin conditions, there are times you want to cover up. Covering up zits and acne scars can be a bit of a problem on acne-prone skin. Even with the fantastic foundation in the market, here’s how to identify what works for your acne-prone skin and what ingredients your foundation shouldn’t have
1. Keywords on Product Labels
Don’t be dazzled by the brand names. Whether a luxurious department store or a drug store bargain, they should have oil-free, non-comedogenic, and non-acnegenic ingredients.
2. The Right Foundation
If you want a light-weight breathable coverage, go for cream-to-powder foundations, mousse foundations, or mineral foundation makeup. If you aim for more coverage best at hiding stubborn breakouts, hyperpigmentation, and other skin discolourations, go for liquid foundations and creams.
To reduce oily shine and smooth out skin texture while giving you that "barely there" feel, loose or pressed powder foundations cover it. If you’re not really into makeup, try a tinted moisturiser coverage instead and top it up with a loose powder foundation for an oil-shine control finishing touch.
3. Right Shade and Undertone Foundation
Here, the rule of thumb is to choose one that ‘disappears’ into your skin for that natural evened-out look. Consider the lighting too. What may look perfect indoors may be wrong in the sunlight so test your makeup outdoors as well.
For the oily-skinned folks, beware; sebum can cause makeup to darken. Recheck the colour after wearing it for an hour or so.
Frequently Asked Questions about Foundation for Acne-Prone Skin
A. Do I still need to apply skincare under the foundation for acne-prone skin?
These products best work with freshly cleansed and moisturised skin. Product formulations are powered by active skincare ingredients, which provide excellent hydration to complement what you have underneath. Hence, you still need that healthy skincare routine for acne-prone skin.
Remember, properly cleanse off your makeup every night. Ideally, after wearing make-up the whole day, you’d want to double cleanse.
B. What is the difference between skin tone and undertone?
Your skin tone is the colour you see in the mirror, either light, medium, or dark. They change depending on sun exposure, which is why people have summer or winter foundations. Simultaneously, the undertone is the underlying colour that your skin tone casts stays the same no matter what season it is. They include:
- Cool undertones - skin has a rosy pink tone and probably burns in the sun
- Warm undertones - skin has a golden, olive, or yellow tint and tans easily
- Neutral undertones - skin sits in between and is neither pink nor noticeably golden
C. Do I use concealer before or after foundation for acne-prone skin?
It depends on what you’re concealing. To cover dark circles or redness, first even things out with foundation, then add concealer where needed to brighten. To conceal pimples, apply concealer first to colour-correct, then the pat foundation for camouflage.