Before all these metallic kitchenware were invented, people used primitive wooden utensils, but the convenience of plastic and durability of metal eventually pushed the woodenware aside. But then pollution ran over our environment and clouded our oceans, stifling our ecosystem. So bamboo, more specifically the best bamboo cooking utensils, made a comeback.
Yes, organic bamboo sets are not as durable as plastic or metal flatware, but they are lightweight, safe for both you and the environment, easily disposable, and recycled. So, if you've been looking for an alternative to silicone and silver flatware, then organic utensils are definitely a great and safe option for you and your loved ones.
Homemade cooks, like stir-fried veggies coupled with your favorite sauce, will need the use of a proper and reliable cooking utensil set that won't also do any harm to your non-stick pans; metal cookware can't guarantee you that. Generally, you are advised not to use metallic kitchen utensils while you cook on non-stick cooking surfaces since they'll ruin the non-stick coating as they scratch the surface.
Additionally, metal cooking ware, especially ones made up of stainless steel, also tends to be a lot more expensive than bamboo utensils.
What is Bamboo?
Bamboo is a plant, more specifically a type of grass, that belongs to the Poaceae family. You'd think it's classified as a tree, but it's not. It exists in various varieties varying from region to region, but it's generally considered one of the fastest-growing woody grasses globally.
Interestingly, unlike trees, bamboo will continue to grow again and again at the same place it was cut. This is because it has a strong and resilient root system that helps it rapidly reproduce the bamboo poles even after being trimmed. Another interesting fact is that bamboo poles, on average, can grow an estimate of 24 inches in a day.
Because of this rapid growth, bamboo production easily takes the place of traditional hardwood forest production. It typically grows wild in the tropics, but it can also grow well in almost all climates.
Wood would be a great alternative, but the demand for wooden items has gone high with the increase in population. In addition, wood takes quite a while to grow back, so cutting the trees destroys the natural habitats and ecosystem and affects our climate. To fight deforestation, people have resorted to using products that are made up of bamboo, even in their kitchens.
Why Choose Bamboo Utensils?
- Bamboo disposal and production is environmentally friendly
- Bamboo grows fast without much followup
- Your bamboo cook set is safe to use on a non-stick pan since they don't scratch off non-stick/metallic residue that may then end up in your food.
- Compared to woodenware, bamboo ware is much more lightweight, stronger, and long-lasting
- Bamboo kitchen utensils are stain, water corrosion, rust, and heat-resistant, so you assured that they'd not absorb odors like plastic
- They are easy to clean. Simply handwash
- Bamboo is heat-resistant, unlike metallic spoons, when you leave them on a hot pot for a while, leaving you with burns when you forget and touch them. Bamboo is a great option for meals that will require a lot of stirring, e.g., soups and risottos
- Bamboo kitchen utensils give you cook space exactly what you need and an interestingly elegant look. It also works great for your bar, restaurant, or wedding catering
- Bamboo organic utensils are quite affordable
- Bamboo is not treated using any chemicals and is BPA-free, unlike plastic utensils
Are Bamboo Utensils Better than Plastic?
Buy On Amazon
1. BAMBONI Organic Bamboo 6-Piece Cooking Set Utensils
- Pure Tasty Food: You need to get rid of all wooden cooking spoons painted or coated and yet claim to be natural. Bamboni 6 Pieces Bamboo...
- Durable to Last Longer: No matter how much food quantity you have in your pot, our wooden cooking utensil set will never break your...
- Eco-Friendly Practical Design: Go for the reusable bamboo cooking utensils set, beneficial for you and our planet. Multiple uses addressed...
- Organic & Lightweight: Our bamboo spoons for cooking are super lightweight to carry anywhere, anytime. So now take natural bamboo spatula on...
- Ideal to Gift Loved Ones: Quality Wooden Spatula set 145 is a classy gift for those who love to showcase their art in the kitchen to cook...
BAMBONI’s bamboo utensil set of 5 spoons and utensil holder is a great place to start for everyday cook utensils if you’re thinking of making the big switch to bamboo. Many buyers who have made the switch still rave about how affordable the set is so that you won’t be losing any sleep over the price tag.
This all-bamboo utensil set comprises a slotted spoon, curved spatula, slotted spatula, solid spoon, spoon fork, and a stylish bamboo utensil holder to help you keep things organized in your cook space. The whole set is made up of 100% biodegradable, sustainable, and compostable bamboo. Like all bamboo products, they are 100% environmentally friendly, and the entire packaging it comes in is entirely plastic-free.
With how rustic and versatile this utensil set is, you can use it out in your family picnics, backyard barbeque parties, camping trips, or even during a fishing trip. Looking for the perfect gift for that kitchen lover friend or family member you have? Here's something perfect in all situations.
Bamboo utensil sets are generally safe for the entire family since they are BPA-free, non-toxic, phthalate-free, splinter-free, and plastic-free. Furthermore, they don’t leave that woody after-taste in the food you cook.
2. Island Bamboo Natural Pakkawood 3 Piece- Baking Set
Maybe it's time you replaced your old set of plastic bakeware with this quality bamboo bakeware. The Island bamboo natural Pakkawood 3 piece-baking set is your best bet on great quality replacement. The quality bamboo bakeware set includes a large spoon that you can use for stirring and serving, a turner spatula for even distribution of the batter, and a double-sided (1 tbs and 1 tsp) measuring spoon which is a great prep tool for measurements.
Island Bamboo offers different sets with great quality spoons, including a bamboo folding spoon or perforated spoon. This vibrant and colorful bamboo utensil set is a great color addition to your kitchen that you can use or hang as an art piece in your kitchen or cooking area.
3. Greenzla 2-Pack Bamboo Utensil Set
- THE COMPLETE SET - Get everything you need in one bundle. Our bamboo travel pack consists of wooden eating utensils and toothbrush, bamboo...
- GUILT-FREE SIPPING - Enjoy your beverage without adding to the environment's marine pollution problem. Our reusable straw and cleaner duo...
- CLEANER & WHITER TEETH - We included a bamboo toothbrush in the set to help you maintain your oral hygiene after every meal. The activated...
- IDEAL FOR THE PLANET & FAMILY - The kit includes 2 each of spoons, forks, knives, teaspoons, chopstick pairs, toothbrushes, straws and...
- BRING THEM ANYWHERE - Your new bamboo utensils are compactly kept inside the included canvas travel bag .Take them to your office, hiking,...
If you really don't want to use plastic flatware during camping, then this quality bamboo utensil set is a great place to start. The entire set includes a bamboo straw, spoon, teaspoon, fork, knife, chopsticks, cleaning brush, and a storage bag. Plus, you also get a toothbrush as a bonus. The purchase comes in 2 packs.
Besides the great quality, it is designed with full convenience for camping and other outdoor excursions. This high-quality bamboo is durable, recyclable, non-toxic, and doesn't leave any taste in your food regardless of what you are preparing.
The entire set is conveniently held together in a cool, super sturdy canvas that helps you store your utensils without consuming so much space in your backpack. When it comes to versatility, this purchase of organic utensil set can be used barbecues, office, picnics, school lunches, or even at parties. You can also use them to cook your meals at home since they are built to give you a lasting and sturdy cooking experience.
4. Ibambo Natural Bamboo 100- Piece Utensil Set
If you’re planning for a big party and want more utensils, then this is exactly what you need to purchase. It features a good stock of forks, knives, and spoons. In total, you get 50 forks, 25 spoons, and 25 knives.
The whole cookware set is fully made of organic and sustainably sourced bamboo. They are easy to hand wash and don’t contain harmful chemicals. These reasons make them great and safe to use on the whole family
5. Bambüsi Bamboo 4-Set Cutting Board
- SET OF 4: The assorted sizes cover all your cooking needs. Between the large and small chopping boards, you have one board just for meat or...
- ATTRACTIVE DESIGN: Make double use of the wooden cutting boards by repurposing them as placemats, serving trays or charcuterie boards. The...
- EASY TO CLEAN: Either use soapy water or salt water to clean your set of 4 wood cutting boards. Bamboo is inherently resistant to stains or...
- GOOD FOR KNIVES: A bamboo cutting board set is an investment for your knives. They help retain blade sharpness.
- CUT OUT HANDLES: When cutting is completed, use the cut-out handle to pick up the board easily.
Different sizes of cutting boards open up a whole new world of possibilities in your home cooks and culinary skills. Bambusi 4-set cutting board gives you just that. These 4 different sized cutting boards include the largest-18 inches wide x 12 inches long at the ¾-inch thickness and a juice groove all around the edges.
The largest comes in a 2-tone design for visual appeal. Next up, 2 mid-sized boards that come with handles so you can easily move them around, and then the smallest, which is 9.5 inches wide x 13 inches long. Each is sustainably made of durable organic bamboo.
Like all bamboo cook utensils, you can simply hand wash them to clean.
What Should You Know for Best Bamboo Cooking Utensils?
A) How to Best Clean A Bamboo Utensil Set?
- Most bamboo pieces are not dishwasher safe, so that they won't hold up with all those trips through the dishwasher. The high temperature, blasting water jets, and soaking up is not good for them. Like wooden cookware, it is best to hand wash them
- Bamboo pieces should not be left to soak in water since this can damage bamboo your bamboo set
- If you need to clean your bamboo kitchen utensil set, you only need to rinse them off using warm water and then give them a quick wipe using a soapy sponge. It is best to do this just as soon as you are done using them to also prevent food from getting stuck
- If food does get stuck on the utensil, use a scraper or soft scrub brush to remove the food
- Your bamboo set will need oiling periodically. You can't just use any oil for this; some oils are specifically made to cure wooden kitchen utensils
B) How to Best Take Care of Bamboo Utensil Sets?
Here are the care instructions of how to take care of your bamboo set;
i) Clean right after every use
You should clean your utensil set thoroughly after use, using warm water and soap.
ii) Sanitize the set
More specifically, if your bamboo kitchen utensils come into contact with seafood, poultry, or any raw meat, you should sanitize all the tools that you use to cook right after use. You can use some water and bleach solution or a mixture of water and white vinegar, which will do this perfectly.
iii) Cure/ oil
Generally, organic bamboo sets don’t really need to be cured/oiled. However, it’s recommended that you do so occasionally. Oiling your bamboo cooking utensil set will help prevent splintering or cracking, which usually comes after using in water for a long.
If you notice that your bamboo piece is starting to feel or look a little dry, then it's time to oil them using some food-grade mineral oils. After this, allow them to sit for at least 2 days to cure.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Bamboo Cooking Utensils
1. What oil should you use on bamboo utensils?
Use some food-grade mineral oil. This includes:
- Bamboo conditioning oil
- Butcher block oil
- Walnut oil
- Coconut oil
Avoid vegetable oils such as olive oil or canola oil since they can be a little rancid. Instead, apply some of that oil using a clean, soft cloth and rub it all over the bamboo spoon. Leave it to sit to let the oil soak into it.
2. Can bamboo cooking tools hold bacteria?
Most of the different types of wood, like bamboo, naturally have antibacterial properties. This means they'll stop any growth of bacteria. However, wooden items are still porous and absorb oil and water as you cook, so it's best to clean them in warm water and mild soap right after use. Otherwise, your wooden or bamboo cooking utensil set is hygienic and much safer to use.
3. Do bamboo cooking gadgets splinter?
If you leave bamboo kitchen utensils to soak for a long time or place them in the dishwasher, bamboo cutlery can actually splinter. To avoid spoiling your wooden cutlery set, avoid using the dishwasher and simply wash them using your hands in warm soapy water. Generally, bamboo cooking sets are not dishwasher safe.
4. How to sterilize a bamboo cooking utensil set?
To sterilize, mix bleach and warm water in a solution of 1 tbsp. Of chlorine bleach and one quart of water. Alternatively, you can also use will 3 tbsp of white vinegar in 1 cup of water.
First, wash them to clean out the food and oil, then dry them using a clean, dry towel, rather than let them air dry. Then dip your bamboo utensils in either of the solutions to sterilize them. Don't let them soak for too long.
5. Why do chefs normally use bamboo spoons?
A professional cook knows that a good stir, scrape or flip allows all the food to get the balanced heat and flavoring, especially if any sauces are involved. In addition, a strong bamboo cooking spoon with a sturdy construction gives you a firm stronghold, making stirring easier and much more effective, even for a beginner cook. So you do whatever you need to do without any fear that the handle might break.