As a responsible cook, you ought to use the best tools out there when preparing your food since cutting boards are essential kitchen elements where their material may vary from bamboo to wooden cutting boards or plastic cutting boards. So naturally, the best choice for your kitchen will be the best bamboo cutting board, but the choice may depend on what you intend to use the cutting board for. Read on to understand what makes these bamboo cutting boards indispensable in the kitchens of professional and serious chefs.
What is a Bamboo Cutting Board?
A bamboo cutting board is a flat and sturdy platform made from a bamboo plant. This high-density wood reduces the intensity of use than other materials for kitchen food preparations. In addition, it protects your tables and countertops from splits, scratches, or stains, and you won't have to worry about cracks appearing because of using sharp knives to chop your vegetables. Also, it not only serves as a cutting board but also serves as a trivet which makes handling hot pans and pots easier and therefore, we have listed some of the best bamboo cutting boards in the market today with their pros and cons and a buying guide to help you navigate the buying process.
Is Bamboo Cutting Board Good?
Buy On Amazon
1. Royal Craft Extra Large Organic Bamboo Cutting Board
- 📏EXTRA LARGE SIZE AND AMAZING VERSATILITY! This fantastic cutting board comes with a multifunctional double sided design, as well as...
- 🔪KNIFE-FRIENDLY SURFACE WITH STUNNING DURABILITY! The Royal Craft Wood Cutting Board is made out of 100% natural bamboo, offering greater...
- 🍉BUILD-IN GROOVE - NO MESS, NO STRESS! Our chopping board makes cutting meat, fruits or vegetables efficient and clean. The innovative...
- 🌳ALL-NATURAL PREMIUM BAMBOO BOARD! This large cutting board is made entirely out of carefully selected bamboo. The nonporous structure of...
- 💯OUTSTANDING QUALITY AND WARRANTY! This cutting board is a quality product made for years of use, we offer a 1-year warranty for this...
Royal Craft Wood Cutting board is an extra-large cutting board that is spacious, and it can be used for slicing meat or chopping vegetables with confidence. The bamboo cutting board is rectangular and features an elegant design with well-chambered edges, and it's a good cutting board for people who prefer the large size cutting board. In addition, it has a smooth surface, which means that it won't hurt your cutlery when you are slicing up some stuff.
The Royal Craft Wood bamboo cutting board can also work as a fine cheese serving platter apart from offering a clean surface for all meal preparations. The bamboo cutting board is eco-friendly since it's made with organic bamboo with antimicrobial and antibacterial properties, and it also includes side handles that make it easy to carry stuff around. However, it weighs 2 pounds which might be heavy for some people.
2. Totally Bamboo 3-Piece Bamboo Cutting Board Set
- SIZED FOR ANY TASK: The three boards included in this set cover a variety of food prep, cutting and serving needs; it's sure to be a...
- PREP AND SERVE: The larger boards are ideal for cutting meats, fruits and vegtables while the lightweight 8-inch board is perfect for...
- EASY TO HANDLE: The lightweight medium and large boards feature a handle to hang for storage and easy carrying
- A BETTER CUTTING SURFACE: These boards are crafted from beautiful flat-grain Moso bamboo, which makes them lightweight and durable, yet...
- EASY CARE: Simply hand wash or wipe with a damp cloth; do not soak in water or wash in the dishwasher
The Totally Bamboo Cutting Board Set is very functional as it comes with three boards, which allows a user to pick the perfect size for their need, whether slicing or serving. Furthermore, all the boards are made using 100% durable flat-grain organic bamboo, and therefore, you are sure they are chemical-free and have a friendly cutting space that won't cause dull knives after a few days of use.
The Totally Bamboo 13-inch and the 11-inch cutting board features a cut-out handle that allows easy hanging, and the 8-ich bar board is small enough fr storage in any standard size cupboard. However, they come at an affordable price for the different sizes, and they need hand-wash and to be treated with mineral oil to keep supple.
3. Home Hero Cutting Board
- Includes bonus knife, sharpener and brush - in addition to the Home Hero large cutting board, this cutting board set also includes a cheese...
- Great gift - our natural wood serving board comes in a stylish gift box, making it perfect as a ready made gift for any occasion. Better...
- Charcuterie board on reverse - this reversible cutting board was designed to also function as a deluxe charcuterie board or as a wooden...
- Innovative design - the large, 1.5” thick, butcher block style wooden cutting board provides stability while cutting, and the indented...
- Customer service - Please, if you have any questions or issues regarding the Home Hero cutting board set please do not hesitate to send the...
Home Hero bamboo board is an innovative creation and one of the best bamboo cutting boards in the market, and it measures 17.7 x 13.7inches with a 1.5-inch thickness. The butcher block style cutting board offers plenty of stability when cutting, and it includes indented handles on each side for an easy grip for easy serving and carrying.
In addition, it makes a perfect gift choice since it comes packaged in a stylish gift box with a complimentary brush, cheese knife, butcher block, knife, and sharpener for a comfortable cutting experience. The opposite side can be used as a charcuterie board, and this side of the cutting board is designed to function as a wooden cheese board or as a deluxe charcuterie board. The reverse side features a divot that holds crackers on one side and is ideal for dinner parties.
4. Indigo True Extra Large Bamboo Board
- A GIFT FOR EVERY COOK! This gorgeous rectangle turkey cutting board is ideal for SERVING & CARVING! The deep juice groove holds up to 2 oz....
- HIGH QUALITY CRAFTSMASHIP! We stand behind our bamboo cutting board 100% If anything is wrong with your heavy duty cutting board Contact Us...
- ALL-NATURAL CHOICE! Eco friendly Moso Bambu cutting board with natural properties and already coated with food grade mineral oil. Made from...
- KNIFE-FRIENDLY SURFACE AREA! Cutting board won't dull your expensive knife set when you carve turkey, chop vegetables, prep steak meat,...
- HAPPY COOKS EVERYWHERE ranging from home cooks to professional chefs at restaurants, commercial kitchens, caterers and bakeries. Comes in a...
Indigo True Extra is an extra-large cutting board that can handle a full meal's worth of veggies, and it has been made with earth and knife-friendly bamboo. It is a green product made with sustainable, earth-friendly, all-natural materials, meaning no chemicals may leach into your food.
Indigo True Extra cutting board features a two-tone design that makes it functional yet beautiful. It is pre-treated with mineral oil to minimize the porous nature of the natural fiber. In addition, it comes with a wide 360-degree juice catch that guarantees to mess on the counter, and also, the soft natural bamboo is gentle on your knives, and like most cutting boards, it needs a hand-wash.
5. Farberware Bamboo Cutting Board Set
- KITCHEN ESSENTIAL: This set of 3 bamboo cutting boards are perfect for everyday food preparation, from slicing fruit to chopping veggies and...
- REVERSIBLE: Boards feature a reversible surface, perfect for both meal prep and entertaining.
- USE AS CHARCUTERIE BOARD: These cutting boards can also be used as charcuterie boards or cheese boards, a beautiful way to serve cheese,...
- NATURAL BAMBOO These bamboo cutting boards are great alternatives to wood cutting boards; bamboo is easier on knife blades, yet...
- 3 SIZES: Set includes a large cutting board: 11 inches by 14 inches; a medium cutting board: 8 inches by 10 inches; and a small cutting...
Farberware Bamboo Cutting Board Set comes in three pieces, and it is rectangular made of bamboo wood material. It is a perfect board for people who want more cutting space as it doesn't have cut-out handles, so it offers a larger cutting area. In addition, the bamboo grass board features antimicrobial properties meaning it will not absorb any odors, and you can use it for multiple cutting.
Farberware Bamboo Cutting Board Set comes with a large 11x14-inches cutting board, a medium one of 8 Inches By 10 Inches, and a small one of 5.5 Inches By 8 Inches. This set can make a perfect gift for a housewarming or as a kitchen starter set for your loved ones, and it can also be used as a serving platter for meat, cheese, or bread.
What Are Some Benefits of Using a Bamboo Cutting Board?
1. Green, Renewable, and Earth Friendly
Bamboo is properly sourced and is a highly renewable resource, and since bamboo is a fast-growing plant, it's a fast renewable resource compared to other wood types. In addition, due to how bamboo is tolerant to its environment, it is easily grown and raised thanks to the ease of farming organically.
Thanks to its quick growth, bamboo can be economically harvested easily, and this is why homeowners and builders opt to switch to use bamboo thanks to its affordability and durability. However, some bamboo products are processed using formaldehyde and glues, and they can leech into your food and gas out over time. The glue forming the board can also cause dulling of the knife blades. Check whether the manufacturers have used organic practices or non-toxic treatment methods before you purchase a bamboo board.
2. Superior Health and Sanitation
Most cutting boards are usually scarred by a chef's knife, which leaves pockets for food particles, moisture, and bacteria to accumulate. However, a bamboo cutting board is dense enough to resist knife scarring and naturally will resist water penetration and therefore not let bacteria find a place to form.
For regular maintenance, it's advisable to use the right hygiene methods to clean your bamboo cutting board using soap and warm water or bleach and water dilution where you use one tablespoon per gallon of water.
3. Low Maintenance
Wood selection is among the most important aspects of selecting a good quality cutting board. Having dense wood is important as it will keep water out and not harbor bacteria. A bamboo cutting board has gained popularity in recent years because it is maintenance-free thanks to the hardwood density that doesn't retain water and doesn't warp or crack.
However, even though it's easy to maintain, a bamboo chopping board is not dishwasher safe because of the extreme heat. However, you can maintain it by simply wiping dry your bamboo board after hand-washing it, and this will allow you to use it for years.
4. Bamboo Looks Good
Bamboo is one of the best natural bamboo cutting boards that feature a natural light wood with a fine grain, and many chefs love the natural look of bamboo and the modern elegance the bamboo portrays. These bamboo chopping boards can be spotted in many designers' kitchens as the grain can be homogenous and uniform, giving an overall tasteful look for a stylish kitchen.
5. Heat Resistant
Since a kitchen is a cooking place, there will be heat generated from your gas cookers or cooking stoves, and plastic cutting boards may melt or become deformed when exposed to a lot of heat. On the other hand, stainless boards get hot, which poses a danger to your fingers, but a bamboo cutting board is an insulator, and therefore, it will not be affected by heat.
Factors to Consider Before Purchasing the Best Bamboo Cutting Board
A bamboo cutting board is available in many shapes, and you have the option of choosing the shape you want or need, but most cutting boards are rectangular with chamfered edges. This is because the board's shape will mainly affect the convenience of putting more food on your board while slicing. Therefore, a rectangular shape may be more convenient than a triangle or circular, even with the same surface areas.
The bamboo cutting board size depends on what you intend to use it for, as someone using the cutting board for slicing fruits may not need the same size as someone using the cutting board to cut fish, chicken, or beef. If you want a general-purpose cutting board, you should shop for one large enough to accommodate all the foodstuff you intend on cutting. Another solution would be to consider the boards that come in sets of three or more so you can have the option of choosing just the right size that suits your specific cutting.
3. Location and shape of the handle
Some cutting boards have handles while others don't, and moving a bamboo cutting board may need to be lifted from the bottom, which can be difficult for some people. If you move your cutting board from one location to another, it's advisable to get a bamboo cutting board with a handle where the handles come in different shapes.
Some cutting boards have two handles located on the two board sides, especially the rectangle ones, and such boards make it safe to move the sliced food from one kitchen area to another. However, before you shop for the best bamboo cutting board, ensure you check the shape and location of the handles.
The usability to shop for is if you want a specific feature such as non-slip edges to ensure your bamboo cutting board does not slide off the counter. In addition, most boards come with grooves that catch any juices to ensure a mess-free kitchen.
The maintenance is how easy it will be to clean and keep it sanitized to ensure your food stays safe where bamboo wood cutting boards need a user to hand wash. In addition, it must be treated with a food-grade mineral oil often to keep it from absorbing odors.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Beautiful Bamboo Cutting Boards
1. Are bamboo cutting boards any good?
Yes, the best sellers of cutting boards are great for they are dense and therefore keep water and juices out, unlike all the other wood types at a great price. In addition, a bamboo cutting board has many advantages, such as it can be cleaned easily, it's lightweight, and it can be used with no mat in place to avoid sliding.
2. Are all bamboo cutting boards the same?
Most bamboo boards are made with the same features, even with a different manufacturer. Still, they may come in different colors and grains and are available in different sizes, just like the regular cutting boards. So choosing the best bamboo cutting board depends on what the manufacturer makes and what the consumer might be looking for.
3. Do bamboo cutting boards warp?
A bamboo cutting board has gained popularity in recent years thanks to its hard-density wood that is almost maintenance-free. Bamboo resists staining and water and, therefore, will not crack or warp as easily as normal wood would.