Broccoli stems are a great source of nutrients and fiber, but they can be tough to chew. Here’s how you can make them more palatable!
This Video Should Help:
If you’ve ever wondered what to do with broccoli stems, look no further! From pesto to recipe ideas, we’ve got you covered.
The humble broccoli stem is often overshadowed by its florets. But don’t be so quick to throw them away – these stalks are packed with flavour and nutrition. Here are some creative ways to make use of them in the kitchen.
One of the most popular ways to enjoy broccoli stems is to make pesto out of them. Simply blend the stalks with some garlic, olive oil, Parmesan cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper. You can enjoy this delicious pesto on pasta, sandwiches or even on crackers as a snack.
Broccoli stems can also be used in recipes that call for shredded cabbage or zucchini. Try grating them into salads, stir-fries or even baked goods for an extra nutritional boost. You can also cook them down into a puree and use it as a base for soups or sauces.
Don’t underestimate the power of simply steaming broccoli stems and enjoying them as a side dish. With a bit of salt and pepper, they make a delicious and healthy accompaniment to any meal.
Why we should eat broccoli stems
Broccoli is a healthy and versatile vegetable that can be used in a variety of recipes. While the florets are the most popular part of the plant, the stems and stalks are also edible and offer many nutritional benefits. Here are some tips on how to incorporate broccoli stems into your cooking.
1. Peel and chop the stems into small pieces to add to soups or stews.
2. Slice thin strips of stem to use as a healthy and crunchy topping on salads.
3. Grate or shred broccoli stems to use as a low-carbohydrate rice or noodle substitute in stir-fries or other dishes.
4. Make a pesto out of broccoli leaves and stems by blending them with olive oil, nuts, and Parmesan cheese in a food processor. This can be used as a spread on sandwiches or as a pasta sauce.
5. Roast, grill, or steam broccoli stalks for a healthy side dish or add them to main courses such as quesadillas or omelets.
Nutritional value of broccoli stems
Broccoli stems are an often overlooked part of the vegetable. They are not as pretty as the florets, but they are just as nutritious. Broccoli stems are a good source of fiber, vitamins A, C, and K, and folic acid. They also contain calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and sodium.
You can cook broccoli stems just like the florets. They can be steamed, boiled, stir-fried, or roasted. You can also eat them raw. If you are looking for a way to use up broccoli stems, here is a recipe for broccoli pesto.
-1 bunch broccoli (stalks and leaves)
-1/2 cup olive oil
-1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
-1 clove garlic
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Cut the broccoli into small pieces, including the stems.
2. In a food processor or blender, combine the broccoli pieces, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
3. Use the pesto immediately or store it in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
How to cook broccoli stems
If you find yourself with a bunch of broccoli and only the florets are still looking good, don’t throw out the stems! Here are some ideas of what to do with them.
1. Pesto – Broccoli pesto is a great way to use up those stems. Just blend the stems with some olive oil, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and nuts or seeds until it forms a paste. You can add the leaves as well if they’re still in good condition.
2. Soup – Broccoli soup is always a classic. You can either shred the stems finely or chop them into larger pieces depending on your preferences.
3. Stir-fry – This is a great way to use up any vegetables you have lying around, not just broccoli stems. Just chop them up into small pieces and add them to your stir-fry along with whatever other ingredients you like.
4. Roasted – Roasted broccoli is always a hit. Just toss the broccoli spears with some olive oil and sea salt, then bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes or until they’re as roasted as you like them.
Recipes featuring broccoli stems
If you often find yourself with leftover broccoli stems after making a dish, you’re not alone. But don’t throw them away ufffd there are plenty of ways to use them up! Here are some of our favorite recipes featuring broccoli stems.
-Broccoli Stalk Pesto: This pesto recipe is a great way to use up broccoli stems, and it can be used in all the same ways as traditional pesto. Try it on pasta, sandwiches, or even pizza!
-Roasted Broccoli Stems: Roasting is a great way to bring out the natural sweetness of broccoli stems. Try them on their own as a side dish, or toss them into salads or grain bowls for extra flavor and nutrition.
-Sautufffded Broccoli Stems: Sautufffding is another quick and easy way to cook broccoli stems. Season them with salt, pepper, and your favorite herbs or spices for an easy side dish or add them to sautufffded vegetables or grain dishes.
-Pickled Broccoli Stems: If you’re looking for a way to add some extra zing to your meals, pickled broccoli stems are a great option. They’ll add flavor and crunch to sandwiches, salads, and grain bowls.
Health benefits of broccoli stems
Broccoli stems are often overlooked, but theyufffdre actually a delicious and nutritious part of the vegetable. Here are some tips on how to make the most of them.
1. Peel and Dice Them
The first step is to peel off the tough outer layer of the stem. Once youufffdve done that, you can dice them up and add them to any recipe that calls for chopped broccoli, such as this Broccoli Pesto recipe.
2. Slice Them Thinly
If you want to enjoy the flavor and texture of broccoli stems without having to chop them up, you can simply slice them thinly and add them to salads or stir-fries.
3. Julienne Them
Another way to prepare broccoli stems is to julienne them, which means slicing them into thin strips. This is a great option if you want to use them as a garnish or add them to soup or pasta dishes.
4. Shred Them in a Food Processor
If you have a food processor, you can shred broccoli stems into ufffdriceufffd that can be used in all kinds of recipes, from rice bowls to casseroles. Just be sure not to overdo it, or youufffdll end up with mush.
5. Roast Them
Roasting is a great way to bring out the natural sweetness of broccoli stems, and itufffds easy to do. Just toss them in a little olive oil and roast at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. You can then add them to all sorts of dishes, from pastas and pizzas to grain bowls and salads.
Tips for including broccoli stems in your diet
If you typically throw away broccoli stems, youufffdre not alone. Many people donufffdt know what to do with them, but theyufffdre actually a versatile and delicious ingredient that can be used in many different recipes. Here are some tips for including broccoli stems in your diet:
– Peel the tough outer layer off of the stem with a vegetable peeler. This will reveal a more tender inner layer that is delicious when cooked.
– Broccoli stems can be chopped and used in place of broccoli florets in many recipes.
– Make a pesto out of broccoli leaves and stems! Just blitz them in a food processor with some olive oil, garlic, Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
– Use a mandoline or other sharp knife to slice broccoli stalks thinly. They make a great addition to stir-fries or can be used as a healthy substitution for noodles in soups.
– Cooked broccoli stalks are delicious when pureed and added to sauces or soup for extra creaminess and nutrition.
How to store broccoli stems
If you find yourself with extra broccoli stems, don’t throw them away! There are plenty of ways to use them up so they don’t go to waste.
One way to use broccoli stems is by grating them into salads. This adds a nice crunch and an extra boost of nutrition. You can also chop them up and add them to stir-fries, soups, or pasta dishes.
If you want to get a little creative in the kitchen, you can also use broccoli stems to make pesto or pickled vegetables. And if you’re feeling really ambitious, you can even try your hand at making broccoli stem noodles!
FAQs about broccoli stems
Cooking with broccoli stems is a great way to use up all of the vegetable and minimize food waste. There are a few different ways to prepare broccoli stems, and they can be used in a variety of recipes.
One popular way to use broccoli stems is to make pesto. To do this, simply remove the leaves from the stem and chop the stem into small pieces. Then, blend the stem with olive oil, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and salt until it forms a smooth paste. This pesto can be used in a variety of ways, such as on pasta or bread.
Another way to use broccoli stems is to make them into chips. First, wash the stem and cut it into thin slices. Next, toss the slices with olive oil and salt. Then, bake them in a preheated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes or until they are crispy. These chips make a great snack or side dish.
There are many other ways to use broccoli stems in cooking. They can be shredded and used as a healthy addition to salads or as a topping on pizzas and tacos. They can also be roasted or stir-fried with other vegetables. So next time you have some broccoli stalks left over, get creative and put them to good use!
So, the next time you find yourself with a bunch of broccoli stems, donufffdt toss them in the trashufffdput them to good use! With a little creativity, you can turn them into a delicious and healthy meal.