Mercury is a chemical element with the symbol Hg and atomic number 80. It is commonly known as quicksilver and was formerly named hydrargyrum. A heavy, silvery d-block element, mercury is the only metallic element that is liquid at standard conditions for temperature and pressure; the only other element that is liquid under these conditions is the halogen bromine, though metals such as caesium, gallium, and rubidium melt just above room temperature.
Checkout this video:
Mercury is a chemical element with the symbol Hg and atomic number 80. It is commonly known as quicksilver and was formerly named hydrargyrum. A heavy, silvery d-block element, mercury is the only metallic element that is liquid at standard conditions for temperature and pressure; the only other element that is liquid under these conditions is bromine, though metals such as caesium, gallium, and rubidium melt just above room temperature. As such, mercury has been used in thermometers for centuries. It remains in use in some types of scientific apparatus and in dental amalgam.
Despite its toxicity, mercury occurs naturally in alluring forms such as cinnabar (red), amethyst (purple), and cinnabar (orange), which have been used as ceremonial pigments and jewelry for millennia. In the past it was used extensively in many products including thermometers, dentistry fillings, fluorescent lights, domes on street lights and light bulbs, etc. because of its ability to conduct electricity and resist tarnishing. If heated enough or if exposed to open flames mercury can be set on fire and will burn with a blue flame.
What is Mercury?
Mercury is a naturally occurring element that is found in air, water and soil. It is also found in small amounts in some of the food we eat.
Exposure to mercury – even small amounts – may cause serious health problems, including brain damage and death. Mercury can be harmful to the nervous system and is a danger to pregnant women and their developing fetuses.
Properties of Mercury
Mercury is a chemical element with the symbol Hg and atomic number 80. It is a heavy metal that is liquid at room temperature. Mercury is used in thermometers, barometers, manometers, sphygmomanometers, float valves, mercury switches, mercury relays, fluorescent lamps and other devices.
Mercury forms alloys with other metals, including gold, silver, copper and zinc. These alloys are called amalgams. Amalgams are used in dental fillings because they are strong and durable. Mercury is also used in electrical components such as switchgear because it has a low electrical resistance.
Mercury is a neurotoxin and exposure to it can cause brain damage and other health problems.
Flammability of Mercury
There is some debate over whether mercury is flammable, with some sources claiming that it is and others stating that it is not.
Mercury is a element that is liquid at room temperature. It is silvery in color, and has a high surface tension. When heated, it vaporizes easily, and this mercury vapor can be highly explosive.
However, pure mercury metal itself is not flammable. In order to ignite the vapor, it must be mixed with oxygen or another oxidizer. When mixed with these substances, mercury can form what is known as an “oxyhydride”. This oxyhydride is highly explosive and can be set off by sparks or other ignition sources.
So while mercury itself may not be flammable, the vapors it emits can be extremely dangerous. If you suspect that there may be mercury in your environment, it is important to ventilate the area and avoid exposure to the vapors.
Why is Mercury Flammable?
Mercury is a metal that is liquid at room temperature. It is sometimes called quicksilver. Mercury is found in thermometers, barometers, and some light switches. It is also used in some dental fillings.
Mercury is flammable because it can easily be turned into a vapour (gas) at room temperature. When this happens, it becomes a very dangerous fire hazard. If mercury is exposed to heat or flame, it can easily catch fire and burn with a bright, invisible flame. This can pose a serious threat to people and property.
How to Handle Mercury
You should avoid contact with mercury because it is a toxic substance. If you come in contact with mercury, you should remove any jewelry that may have become contaminated. You should also wash your skin thoroughly with soap and water. If you get mercury on your clothing, you should remove the clothing and wash it separately from other laundry.
Disposing of Mercury
Mercury is a heavy, silvery-white metal that is liquid at room temperature. It is sometimes called quicksilver. Mercury is found in nature in small amounts and has a number of industrial uses. It is used in products such as:
-fluorescent light bulbs
Some of these products can release mercury into the environment when they are broken or disposed of improperly. For example, when a fluorescent bulb is broken, it can release mercury vapor into the air.
Health Effects of Mercury
Mercury is a silvery-white metal that is liquid at room temperature. It is often used in dental fillings, thermometers, barometers, and fluorescent light bulbs. It is also used in the production of chlorine gas and caustic soda, and is found in batteries, switches, relays, mercury vapor lamps, and some fluorescent light bulbs.
Exposure to mercury can damage the brain, kidneys, and lungs. Symptoms of mercury poisoning include neurological problems, trouble speaking or swallowing, muscle weakness, tremors, changes in vision or hearing, parachuting (from sensory loss), skin rashes, and mood swings. Mercury poisoning can be fatal.
In conclusion, mercury is not flammable. It is a non-metal that is liquid at room temperature. Mercury exists in three forms: elemental mercury, inorganic mercury compounds, and organic mercury compounds. All three forms are toxic.