Waffles have become universal on continental breakfast bars; they're actually a breakfast staple. There is a waffle iron for every palate, from thinner, crispier American-style to thick, fluffy Belgian-style waffles. With the best waffle iron, you can have homemade golden waffles drenched in real maple syrup every morning of the week in minutes.
Unlike pancakes that usually require constant surveillance, a waffle iron allows you to pour in your batter and handle all the hard work for you. However, there are factors and another buying guide to consider before buying the waffle iron of your dreams, but before that, let's understand what a waffle iron is.
What is a Waffle Iron and its Importance?
A waffle iron, also known as a waffle maker, is a kitchen utensil appliance used to bake waffles. It usually has two metal plates with a connecting hinge, formed to create the honeycomb pattern that you see on waffles. The iron is heated, and either dough is placed, or batter is poured between the plates, which are then closed to bake break delicacies which come with a sweet flavor, which is very similar to pancakes though lighter and sweeter.
The type of waffle maker you buy depends on what type of waffles you prefer. Some waffle makers usually make thin, crisp waffles, while others, like Belgian waffle maker models, make thick, fluffy waffles ready for topping.
Now since we understand what's a waffle iron, let's check out the best waffle makers in this category. Read on!
1. Dash Mini Waffle Maker for Individual Waffles, (DMW001CU)
- MORE THAN WAFFLES: Make your favorite breakfast classics, or get creative with waffled hash browns, cookies and even biscuit pizzas. Any...
- MINI IS MIGHTY: With a 4” nonstick cooking surface, this is a MUST-HAVE for that first apartment, smaller kitchen, college dorm, or...
- WAFFLY EASY: Simply plug it in and go; the Waffle Maker heats up in minutes. Dual non-stick surfaces provide an even cook for consistent...
- PERFECT GIFT: The perfect wedding or new home gift, the Waffle Maker’s small size takes up little counter space, and its sleek design and...
- INCLUDES: The DASH Mini Waffle Maker includes one Mini Waffle Maker and Recipe Guide so you can get cooking right away
This model is our best waffle maker on the market. Though it's a little waffle maker, it comes with great features and has 176,000 reviews on Amazon. Ideal for a smaller kitchen, apartment, college dorm, or RV. Also, it's lightweight and makes 4" mini waffles, the perfect size for a dessert or light breakfast. Additionally, it comes with a ready light to let you know when it is preheated.
This Mini Waffle Maker is very easy to store and use due to its compact size. It features an illustrated owner's manual that is easy to follow and has several recipes. The waffle maker comes in ten colors, and there is even a heart-shaped version so you can have waffles with your desired shape.
The perfect waffle you make with this model can fit in the toaster, making it the most preferred among other waffles. There are many benefits to owning this model, but we will let you be the judge.
2. Presto FlipSide Belgian Waffle Maker
- Included Components: Drains And Serves.
- Fabric Type: Plastic, Stainless Steel
- Bakes extra-thick Belgian waffles in minutes
If you prefer rotating waffle makers, look no further but the Presto Flipside Belgian Waffle Maker. This flip waffle maker by Presto simplifies the flipping concept with a 180-degree flip design, and easy-to-understand countdown timer, and one temperature setting. Although this waffle maker doesn't come with removable plates, it has a dazzling ceramic finish inside, making it easy to clean.
With this waffle maker, you can make 7-inch diameter waffles crispy on the outside and fluffy inside in 4 minutes. It comes with a display that allows you to know when baking is completed. Also, if you need to step away maybe, there is a useful countdown timer that alerts you when you remove your perfectly made waffle.
This waffle maker is lightweight, and the base usually locks in a vertical position for compact storage. Though you can't adjust browning settings, if you allow your waffle to bake a little less or even a little more than the indicator light says, you will eventually be able to figure out how to customize your crispiness easily.
3. Cuisinart Double Belgian Waffle Maker-WAF-F20P1
- SUPERIOR FUNCTION: The 1400-watt double belgian round waffle maker is professional quality for home use. Bakes two belgian waffles at a time...
- EASY TO USE: With an Easy-to-Handle rotary feature you are able to evenly bake on both top and bottom. 6-setting browning control also helps...
- MUST HAVE FEATURES: With 2-LED ready indicator lights and 3 audio beep tones signal when each waffle is done. You’ve also got 1-inch deep...
- INCLUDED: A waffle cup for pouring your batter into the waffle maker. Also includes a 36-inch power cord for accessibility
- LIMITED 3-YEAR WARRANTY: Refer to user manual for troubleshooting steps and questions surrounding warranty policies – this product is BPA...
If you are a Belgian waffle makers fan and want to make perfectly fluffy on the inside and crisped on the outside waffles, count on the Cuisinart Double Belgian Waffle Maker. Professional chefs vouched for this flip Belgian waffle maker since it ensures even spreading and baking of batter without bald spots. Additionally, this waffle maker comes with a unique design that creates two deep pockets 1" Belgian waffles concurrently with a precise 6-setting control handle that ensures your waffles are perfectly baked as you like them.
The waffle maker is easy to use and store. It comes with a cord keeper on the bottom and a custom measuring cup, making it easy to pour the exact amount of batter with less spill-over. It gets heated up in 5 minutes and takes 3 minutes to make two well-baked thick Belgian waffles. Also, the flip action is smooth and easy, with no exterior hot parts to worry about.
The package comes with clear instructions for making either one or two waffles. However, it takes a longer time for this waffle maker model to cool down, so you have to wait until after breakfast to clean.
4. Hamilton Beach 2-Slice (26009) Non-Stick Belgian Waffle Maker
- VERSATILE AND DELICIOUS: Cook two tasty waffles and so much more with this Belgian style waffle maker; Try waffle recipes that go from basic...
- EASY TO USE, EASY TO CLEAN: This waffle iron features nonstick Belgian-style grids that make two 4-inch square waffles that are 1.1" deep
- WAFFLES COOKED TO PERFECTION: The browning shade selector ranges from light to brown and crispy, so you get waffles cooked just the way you...
- SLEEK STYLE: This premium stainless steel waffle baker is not only easy to clean but also looks great in any kitchen
- ELIMINATE GUESSWORK: Power and preheat lights on top of waffle maker show when power is on and when it's hot and ready for batter
You can bet on the Hamilton Beach 2-Slice Belgian Waffle Maker for one of the best waffle makers with a nonstick surface. This easy-to-use waffle maker will give you two perfectly cooked Belgian-style waffles concurrently in 4 to 5 minutes. It comes with a clever design that allows for flat or compact upright storage. It also features a covered hinge and batter channel, which help prevent any hard-to-clean overflows.
The Hamilton Beach Waffle Maker produces 1-inch thick and square-shaped waffles, which tend on the inside and are crisp on the outside. This model has indicator lights that turn on when the machine is on, during preheating as well as when it is heated up evenly to add the batter; however, not when cooking is done, so you will need to be around and watch when steam stops leaking out or set a timer.
Although this maker has browning adjustment settings, the slider control usually has many variabilities; therefore, deciding which setting is right for you'll take several tests. Beware, the waffle maker handle gets a bit hot so ensure you use an oven mitt or gloves when removing your waffles.
5. All-Clad Stainless Steel Classic Round Waffle Maker, (WD700162)
- Features 7 adjustable levels of browning, so your waffles are as crispy as you like it
- Automatically alerts you when you need to pour batter and when your waffle is done
- Plates are coated with a PFOA-free nonstick material that helps waffles slide right off
- Makes 1 large round waffle about 6.5 inches with 4 easy-to-cut sections
- Unique and Sophisticated Design. Easy to cut sections and extra deep pockets to enjoy your waffles with any type of toppings. For...
When looking for the best waffle iron that comes with sections, consider the All-Clad Stainless Classic Round Waffle Maker. All-Clad Round Classic Waffle Maker is divided into four sections for round waffles. It's easy to use and has a smooth ergonomic knob that doesn't get hot when baking waffles. It also comes with green and red indicator lights that usually have a sound so you can step away and carry on with other things rather than hovering over the machine.
The Round Classic Waffle Maker comes with 7 clearly labeled browning settings. Also, its plates are nonstick, while the handle is large and simple to operate. However, you will realize that the body gets hot though if you have an oven mitt, this is not a major issue.
5 Tips for Perfectly Using a Waffle Maker
Whatever waffle maker you go for, there are a few things you can do to ensure you make as tasty waffles as possible:
1. Ensure you leave some lumps in the batter
Avoid over-whisking your waffle batter. Instead, ensure there is a little lumpiness to the texture since when it gets too smooth, it will result in a chewier end product.
2. Allow the waffle maker to preheat
Wait until the waffle maker is preheated; the indicator lights will let you know when your waffle maker is already preheated, then pour in your batter. By giving your waffle maker time to preheat, you allow the entire surface to be evenly heated and ready to go. Otherwise, some parts of your waffle can be overcooked or undercooked.
3. Ensure you lubricate the waffle plates if the waffle maker isn't nonstick
Like with a pan, you need to lubricate the waffle plates with oil, butter, or cooking spray. Otherwise, you will leave half of your waffle behind when trying to pry it out of the waffle maker. However, if your waffle maker is nonstick, you can skip the greasing process.
4. Avoid peaking at the waffle while it is cooking.
Though it's tempting, don't open the lid until the indicator lights show the waffle is done. Otherwise, if you open the lid and the waffle is not finished, you will rip the waffle apart.
5. Avoid lifting the waffle out with metal utensils.
We advise you always to use a utensil made out of silicone, rubber, or plastic when prying out the waffle since metal utensils will scratch your waffle maker. Having the best waffle maker is an investment; therefore, you should ensure it's scratch-free as possible.
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Waffle Maker
1. Size and shape
When shopping for the best waffle maker, ensure you consider the size and shape. However, shape depends on preference. Generally, Belgian waffle maker models are rectangular, while in Nordic countries, they are heart-shaped. Conversely, American waffles can be square, round or rectangular.
2. Number of waffles
Waffle makers usually make between one and four waffles at a time. So, when looking for the best waffle iron, assess how many people you will be making waffles for to choose a model that suits your household and handles needs. Moreover, some waffle makers bake one large waffle that can be cut and shared to pieces enough to feed a big family.
Waffles usually freeze well, so it is a good idea to make extra for easy breakfasts in the mornings. Ensure to consider how quickly every waffle maker works to estimate how long it will take to bake the batch size you want.
3. Cook time
The best waffle makers need to bake waffles quickly. If it's not hot enough or too slow, the center may overcook before the outer parts have time to crisp up and brown. The best waffle makers can bake a waffle in about two minutes. Furthermore, most models have variable shade settings, though lower-priced models plugin and require you to use a separate timer.
4. Easy to use & clean
The best waffle iron should come with instructions that are clear and its controls easy to use. If it's not easy to clean, you're less likely to use it regularly. However, nonstick waffle maker plates are a popular feature nowadays, and they usually make the baking processing and cleaning up hassle-free, especially if they are removable. You can simply wipe them clean with a damp cloth once the appliance has cooled. Also, you can choose a model with dishwasher-safe plates to make cleaning hassle-free.
Additionally, the removable or built-in drip tray is handy in case of overflow. Some waffle maker models feature spill-over channels to deal with overflow batter. Furthermore, the controls and handle should remain cool while the appliance is on as far as safety is concerned.
5. Ease of storage
When looking for the best waffle iron, you want a model that will perfectly suit your need and storage space. Besides, storage consideration is vital since few of us have enough counter space to devote to a waffle maker. Look for a waffle maker that is lightweight and reasonably compact, so it can fit inside your drawer or cabinet if you have less cabinet space. You can tuck away some waffler makers vertically, while most models come with built-in cord storage or cord winders to avoid annoying tangles.
6. Indicator lights
When choosing the best waffle iron, ensure you pick the one with a visible or audible alert to help you know what is going on. However, on our review, all the waffle makers have indicator lights and sound. Most will chime or light up when it's preheated enough, when your waffle is done, or when ready to cook another batch. We recommend you to check out the products that come with a sound since it lets you step away and carry on with other things rather than hovering over the machine.