One of the primary cooking companions you require for a barbecue is a steak marinade. Traditionally, users applied a blend of ketchup combined with other ingredients such as lemon, garlic and herbs. But, gradually, steak cooking is becoming more straightforward with ready-made marinades. So, we recommend buying the best store-bought marinade for steak, to make cooking more convenient.
Bearing in mind there are numerous marination alternatives in the market, here's an informative buying guide to help you shop for the best. Even so, we will start with understanding the concept of a steak marinade.
What is a Steak Marinade?
A steak marinade is a liquid blend of ingredients in which different meats are soaked before cooking for taste and texture improvements. The most common type of cooking which goes best with a marinade is grilling, even though there are different types of steak marinade created for diverse cooking styles. Some of the ingredients in a steak marinade might include enzymatic components that work through the breakdown of meat tendons to allow seasonings to enter the meat.
Examples of steaks that are commonly marinated include chicken breasts, beef, pork chops, and fish, among many others. Initially, freshly squeezed lime juice was a good approach to adding flavor to meat, but now more intricate marinades can be bought from your local stores. Subsequently, let's look at the five best steak marinades you can buy from your local stores.
1. Lea & Perrins The Original Worcestershire Sauce
- One 5 fl oz. bottle of Lea & Perrins The Original Worcestershire Sauce
- Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce will enhance your dish and make your taste buds crave for more
- The oldest commercially bottled condiment in the United States
- Made with molasses, tamarind extract, white vinegar, chili pepper extract and sugar
- Cholesterol free, fat free and gluten free with 5 calories per serving
Our front runner for the best store-bought marinade for steak is the Lea & Perrins the Original Worcestershire Sauce. We love this marinating sauce for its quick action in adding flavor to steaks. Notably, this sauce is cholesterol-free but is packed with rich and healthy ingredients such as molasses, white vinegar, tamarind extract, and chili pepper extract for natural tastes. Therefore, even without other complementary sauces, this steak marinade packs the real grill punch.
You can apply this sauce as a marinade before cooking and during or after cooking to boost your steak's flavor whenever you desire. Another benefit of this steak sauce is its versatility across diverse meat types and different steak meals. Eventually, this best-seller will leave your taste buds craving for more.
2. Buffalo's Own Chiavetta's Barbecue Marinade
Another excellent store-bought steak marinade is the Buffalo's Own Chiavetta's Barbecue Marinade. This marinade is simply heavenly on any meat steak. Starting from its pack's label, this bbq marinade will probably excite your taste buds even before you use it. In addition, this marinade is packed with rich flavors drawn from spices, fresh garlic, vinegar and xanthan gum.
Accordingly, you can use this steak marinade on anything including, veal, fish, veggies, beef, pork chops, and chicken. Also, this marinade is fast-acting, meaning you can marinate your tenderloin for 1-hour in this rich blend and still obtain a delicious taste over a grill. Even more, you can still soak your steak in this marinade for more than one hour for a more tenderized and flavor-infused experience.
3. Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce
- WEEKNIGHT MEAL: Add our award winning Veri Veri Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce to your favorite homemade meal for an easy weeknight dinner with...
- TERIYAKI MARINADE: Sesame seeds and hints of ginger add exotic teriyaki flavor that’s a delicious chicken marinade or steak marinade great...
- SWEET SOY SAUCE: Made with quality ingredients, this condiment has no artificial preservatives or high fructose corn syrup
- TERIYAKI SAUCE: Bursting with teriyaki flavor, use as a dipping sauce, cooking sauce, simmer sauce, or stir fry sauce perfect for veggies,...
- CERTIFIED KOSHER: Kosher certified and ready for your next get together, this marinade and sauce combo is everything you've been searching...
We also recommend trying the Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce. This thick and bold marinade is made with salt, sugar, wheat, soybeans, water, expeller pressed veg-oil, sesame seeds, dried garlic, dried onion, dried ginger and ginger puree. Already from the sound of these amazing ingredients, you can feel the flavors bursting in your mouth.
Furthermore, you can use this Soy Vay Teriyaki Marinade to cook delicious meat using different cooking styles such as baking, broiling and grilling. Asides from meat dishes, you can use this sauce to stir fry your veggies and noodles. Fortunately, this Soy grill marinade is packed with natural ingredients with no artificial sugars or preservatives to leave you with health concerns. Overall, this store-bought steak marinade is the right choice if you a looking for flavors oriented towards garlic, salt and ginger.
4. A.1. New York Steakhouse Marinade
- Six 16 fl. oz. bottles of A.1. New York Steakhouse Marinade
- A1 New York Steakhouse Marinade is the perfect complement to burgers, steak, chicken, pork, vegetables and more
- Strong savory flavors of cracked black pepper and onions
- Steakhouse style marinade packs a palatable heat from black pepper and a mix of other tart and spicy ingredients like tamarind, tomato puree...
- Use our bold sauce as a marinade, brush it on while grilling or pour it on your entrée at the table
If you prefer your grilled steak packed with palatable heat, we present the A.1 New York Steakhouse Marinade to you. This classic and bold steak marinade is ideal in cooking savory grill meat dishes, including pork, steak and chicken. In particular, this sauce is packed with rich hot ingredients, including black pepper, tart, tamarind, dried onion, parsley, garlic and tomato puree.
Subsequently, you can use this marinade while the meat is on a grill or just pour it on your ready meat as a sauce. During the marination process, you are required to let this blend sear into the meat by refrigerating for about 30 minutes or more. Notably, you can use this marinade while grilling or boiling on diverse meals, including chicken, vegetables, pork, burgers and more. Therefore, you can try this family favorite for savory rubs and marinades.
5. Stonewall Kitchen 4 Piece Sweet Grille Sauce Collection
- Stonewall Kitchen 4 Piece Sweet Grille Sauce Collection
- Perfect for the grill lover - it's great as a gift for the holidays or just a sunny day
- No matter what’s on your menu, each one will add some real sweet character to your barbecue and grilled meats
- Made with the finest ingredients and an easy way to stock your pantry
- It all started in 1991 at a local farmers' market with a few dozen items that we'd finished hand-labeling only hours before. Fast-forward to...
Lastly, you can also find a good steak marinade in the Stonewall Kitchen Sweet Grille Sauce Collection. This collection includes a pack of four sauces, including bourbon molasses bbq sauce, roasted apple grille sauce, honey barbeque sauce, and garlic Teriyaki sauce. Together, these sauces combine to provide your grill meals with a rich sweet flavor. In addition, this divine blend is thick with a deep-reaching effect on meat tendons within a short time.
Moreover, this Stonewall Kitchen steak marinade set can be used on dishes such as pork, chicken and stir fry veggies. You can find this marinade combination as a pack of different bottles, but they're all meant to be blended as per a user's preference for the ultimate tasty finish.
Benefits of Marinating Meat
Primarily, marination covers the preparation of meat before cooking. Therefore, there are certain benefits that users stand to gain by using a marinade. Here are the key benefits of meat marination.
- Taste boosting. Ready-made steak marinades come with a combination of tastes depending on your preferences, whether savory or sweet. Even with ready-made blends, you can still customize marinades using additional ingredients such as garlic, vinegar or even ketchup, depending on the taste you want to achieve. You can also add a touch of indigenous products such as sesame seeds or paprika to transform ordinary beef tenderloin into a heavenly delicacy.
- Texture Improvement. For meat lovers, the texture is at the heart of a quality meaty dish. So, marination provides the feeling of well-cooked steak melting into the mouth, even with chewing. Ideally, marinades soften meats and add taste to tough cuts. To get this soft texture, marination is best done with the sauce or puree forms.
- Moisturization. Marination adds moisture to meats, making them tender. Besides adding moisture, a marinade also ensures that moisture reaches deep into tissues for a balanced flavor in every piece. In light of tenderization, marinades are made with acids like vinegar, spices such as garlic herbs and enzymes that work together to loosen the protein tendons.
Common Ingredients in a Store-Bought Steak Marinade
- Oils help marinades transfer oil-soluble flavors into meats while also retaining moisture. Moreover, oils keep acidic and other sharp tastes from dominating for a balanced taste profile. Some commonly used marinade oils include olive oil, sesame seed oil, buttermilk, mayonnaise or even yogurt.
- Salt as an essential cooking ingredient can be found in a ready-made marinade. In addition, salt boosts the penetration of water-soluble tastes that will remain even after cooking. Salt also plays the role of loosening muscle fibers through protein restructuring for easy cuts and moisturization. Besides the usual sea salt, other salty components used in a marinade include fish sauce, soy sauce, and miso.
- Sugar as the opposite of salt can also be found in a store-bought marinade. Accordingly, sugar acts as a sweetener, and it comes in different forms that include honey, molasses, ketchup, pineapple extracts and barbecue sauce.
- Acid is another common ingredient in grilling marinades that mainly works to weaken protein surfaces for the penetration of flavors. Notable, many ingredients can be used as acids including, citric/lemon juice, vinegar, hot sauce and pickle juice.
- Enzymes are also common in marinades to help break down connective protein tissues. The main reason for this is to make meat palatable and enjoyable. One of the known sauce enzymes is papain or papaya, known for tenderizing meats.
- Herbs add nutritional and flavor accents to steak. In most cases, store-bought marination sauces are endowed with natural herbs such as chives, thyme, basil, marjoram, lovage, mint, parsley and tarragon. In addition, such herbs are rich in flavors, subsequently boosting the presence of spices.
- Seasonings cover the presence of spices in a sauce or marinade. Some of the seasonings added to marinades include chili powder, turmeric for the color, ginger, curry paste, paprika, lemon juice, tamarind sauce, garlic, and onions, among other spices. Overall, seasonings serve as flavor boosters.
Tips for Safe Meat Marination
Most meats, including raw seafood such as salmon, poultry and pork, host harmful bacteria which could easily render your marinade adverse. In light of this understanding, here are a few safety precautions to take during steak marination.
- Refrigeration of marinated raw food to inhibit bacterial growth.
- Never reuse marinade that has come into contact with uncooked meats. You would instead make extra sauce for eating with your marinated food.
- Avoid using non-reactive materials during marination, such as pottery glazes and metals. Reactive materials might leave residues in your meats when they come into contact with acids such as vinegar in the marinades. Also, always avoid marinating on aluminum foil or aluminum cookware.
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Store-Bought Marinade for Steak
While shopping for the best store-bought marinade for steak, the first consideration is the ingredients. Different grill recipes require different ingredients to achieve the desired outcome. In this case, the outcome primarily relates to tastes that you obtain across different meaty dishes. At all times, it is vital to consider a condiment with edible ingredients for all your guests.
Moreover, ingredients determine if a marinade is sweet or savory. Therefore, different marination sauces come with different ingredients for their uniqueness. In the end, it wouldn't hurt to have three marinades in your pantry for diverse meaty dishes for different occasions.
2. Type of Meat
Choosing the right marination condiment also depends on the steak you intend to grill. In most cases, users provide feedback on the outcome of different marinations to help other consumers make the right choices. Also, you should consider the time required for different steak types to soak in marination juices for the best-flavored food.
On the one hand, soft meats such as seafood and chicken marinate easily and quickly. Subsequently, it is best to cut the chicken steak into smaller pieces for perfect marination. On the other hand, tough meats such as pork, lamb, or beef should be left to marinate for long for equal flavor distribution. In the end, you should also consider if you will cook over a grill, bake or boil your steak to settle for the right marinade.
Finally, we also recommend getting the best value out of the money you spend on a steak marinade. Consequently, the best product choice will provide the ultimate food tastes you desire. As you type keyword (s) relating to marination sauces, you can also check how users provide feedback on value for money.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Store-Bought Marinade for Steak
1. What kind of steak should you marinate?
Marination is best on tough meats for improvements in taste and texture. Nonetheless, any food does well with marination. For instance, different marinades come with diverse tastes such as pineapple, soy and herbal components for exceptional grilling of poultry cuts. Accordingly, it wouldn't hurt to type keyword (s) relating to the steak you intend to marinate.
2. Which is better, marinade or dry rub?
Steak marination is better than dry rubs since the former adds flavor and tenderizes meats. Even in light of paid commissions, we have provided you with the best steak marinades available in the local stores.
Image source: azcentral.com