There's nothing quite like being able to pull out your roasted vegetables after you've tirelessly chopped them up and followed that recipe to the latter, only to find that they are brown and possibly burnt.
The best pan for roasting vegetables is an investment but one worth making. Not only does finding the best one save you in terms of cost and space, but it can also be a versatile workhorse in your kitchen as they always come in handy.
These multipurpose kitchen tools can be used for everything from roasting brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes to baking your favorite holiday cookies.
We created a guide that outlines the best features to consider when buying the best sheet pans for roasting vegetables and listed our top 5 favorites in the market.
The Best Pans For Roasting Vegetables
1. Nordic Ware Baker’s Half Sheet Pan
- Naturals commercial bakeware is made of pure aluminum which will never rust for a lifetime of durability. For sweet or savory baking; from...
- Foods bake and brown evenly due to aluminum’s superior heat conductivity. Reinforced encapsulated steel rim prevents warping and adds...
- Compatible with parchment paper or silicone baking mats if desired. Easy clean up; hand wash recommended.
- Pan exterior dimensions 17.9 x 12.9 x 1 inches and interior dimensions 17.1 x 12.1 x 1 inches.
- Proudly made in the USA by Nordic Ware
The Nordic Ware Baker's Half sheet pan is made of pure aluminium hence guaranteeing durability. The Nordic Ware cookie sheet can be used for roasting vegetables and to bake sweet delights like cookies. Due to the aluminum's superior heat conductivity, food bakes and browns evenly.
The Nordic Ware half sheet pan features an encapsulated steel rim that prevents warping and adds strength. The aluminum sheet pan is compatible with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
2. KPKitchen Baking Sheet with Rack Set
- ⭐ HOLIDAY COUNTDOWN SALE TODAY -- Want to Save an EXTRA 10% TODAY Only? Use Coupon Code at checkout: HOLIDAYRAK10. Makes a great holiday...
- 💡 UNIQUE SILICONE FEET PREVENT SCRATCHES! To prevent scratches on your new aluminum baking sheets and kitchen countertops, we also...
- 🔥 PAN DOESN'T WARP IN THE OVEN! Our aluminum baking sheet is made with heavy gauge 18 pure rust-free aluminum and is reinforced with...
- 💪 VERY STURDY AND WELL MADE RACK! Our 16.8” x 11.8” x 1” cooling rack is built with the highest grade 100% 18/8 (304) stainless...
- 🎁 PERFECT ADDITION TO ANY KITCHEN BACKED BY A 3-YEAR WARRANTY! A baking sheet with wire rack set that works great & you‘ll be happy...
The KPKitchen Baking Sheet can be considered one of the best pans for roasting vegetables. The half sheet pans measure 18” x 13” x 1”, making them large enough to fit whatever delights you want to whip up while in the kitchen. Be it roasting potatoes or chocolate chip cookies, they're guaranteed to fit in these sheet pans.
The duo features a half sheet pan and cooling rack that can be used separately or together. The roasting pan is made with heavy gauge aluminum and is reinforced with steel wire in the edges to prevent it from warping while in the oven. It can be used up to temperatures of 500 F. The rack is constructed with the highest grade of stainless steel and fits perfectly in the half sheet roasting pan.
It is designed with a tight cross grid pattern and raised 1 inch, thus providing sufficient airflow. This is great for cooking bacon in the oven. The wire rack comes with a set of 6 removable silicone feet that helps prevent it from scratching up any surfaces in your kitchen. The silicone feet are made out of LFGB silicone which means that they are heat resistant up to 450°F in the oven.
Regarding cleaning, the roasting pan is hand-washed while the cooling rack can is dishwasher safe.
3. Wildone Baking Sheet & Rack Set
- 🍒[Perfect Bundle] 4 Pieces Baking Set - Including 2pcs baking sheet 16 x 12 x 1 inch and 2pcs cooling rack 15.35 x 11 x 0.67 inch, fits...
- 🍒[Healthy Material] No more aluminum into your food, a great replacement to aluminum pan. This oven safe baking sheet pan with cooling...
- 🍒[Crafted & Heavy Duty] Thick gauge baking tray with sturdy construction, the baking rack welded firmly, lifts food above juices to allow...
- 🍒[Easy To Clean] Baking tray with deep full sides all around prevent food juice from flowing everywhere to keep your oven neat; Both the...
- 🍒[Food Heated Evenly] The oven pan is great for making cookies, cinnamon rolls, sticky buns, brownies, corn bread and fruit cobblers and...
The Wildone cookie pan & rack set consists of two baking sheet pans and two stainless steel racks suitable for heavy use. It's a great choice if you've been itching to get rid of the metallic taste in your food.
The roasting pans and racks are made of pure stainless steel without chemical coating. They are rust resistant and durable. The roasting pan has a mirror finish which helps reduce the risk of food sticking and releases it easily. It also makes cleaning easier. It also has rolled edges that make it comfortable holding and transferring and preventing food from falling through.
The baking sheet is super versatile as it can be used for baking sticky buns, brownies and roasting vegetables. Food is heated evenly and comes out perfectly. Since the pans are not coated, you have the option of either putting a layer of aluminum foil or a baking mat when using them.
This will help, especially when baking or cooking anything with oil/fat/carbohydrates, as it is likely to burn and will be difficult to remove. Even though you can be rough while scrubbing them clean, the baking mat makes cleaning process easier.
4. Checkered Chef Baking Sheet and Rack Set
- Complete Set: The perfect combo for cooking is here. Use this pan and wire rack for cooking healthier, drip-free meals - or bake your...
- Quality Baking Rack: This stainless steel sheet pan rack is designed for every situation - whether you're putting it on the oven or cooling...
- Sturdy Pan: Say goodbye to burnt bottoms. Our aluminum half sheet pans allow for superior heat conductivity, and the rolled edges provide...
- Great Design: Our large baking rack and sheet pans for cooking are designed to work perfectly together and superbly apart. The pan is 18" x...
- Easy Cleaning: Our stainless steel wire baking rack is machine washable to give you more time over the stove and less time over the sink!
The checkered chef baking sheet is widely known as the best for cookies. The half sheet pan is extremely versatile as it can be used for both baking and cooking. The pan comes with a stainless steel rack that helps prevent twisting and warping. The half sheet pan is made of sturdy aluminum hence guaranteeing even heat distribution and browning.
The pan has reinforced rolled edges that are smooth and provide extra strength. This further prevents the cookie sheet from warping. The rimmed baking sheet measures 18 x13 inches with a depth of 1 inch, while the wire baking rack sits neatly inside, measuring 17x12 inches.
They are both easy to clean. The aluminum tray should be hand washed while the the rack is dishwasher safe.
5. Chicago Metallic Professional Non-Stick Pan Set
- IDEAL FOR BAKING MULTIPLE DISHES: The Chicago Metallic Non-Stick Baking Sheet Set is ideal for all types of baking and cooking. Have the...
- CONSISTENT HEAT DISTRIBUTION: The baking sheet is made from heavy-weight carbon steel to evenly disperse weight and heat for consistent...
- NON-STICK COATING FOR EASY RELEASE: The Chicago Metallic Baking Sheets and Cooling Rack feature a non-stick surface. The non-stick coating...
- THE PERFECT SIZED BAKING SHEET SET: The sheets feature a wire rod reinforced rim to prevent any warping. The 2 baking sheet pans measure...
- SPACE SAVING STORAGE: This non-stick baking sheet is easy to store and can be stacked within other baking sheets, making it a great space...
The Chicago Metallic Professional Baking Sheet Set is best suited for both baking and cooking. Whether you want to roast vegetables, bake jelly rolls, bars, cookies,, or reheat leftovers, this one sheet pan can do it all. The baking sheet is constructed from heavy-weight carbon steel, allowing even heat distribution, ensuring your food cooks evenly.
The baking sheet features a non-stick surface making it easy for cleaning. The sheet pan comes with a wire rod reinforced rim that helps prevent any warping. The cooling rack's dimensions are 16.75" x 11.5". Both baking pans measure 17.75" x 13" x 1" while the inner measurements are 17" x 12.25"x 1". The sheets pans are safe to wash in the dishwasher and can be used at an oven temperature of up to 450°F. They are compatible with most types of ovens.
Features To Consider When Buying The Best Sheet Pans For Roasting Vegetables
a) Type of Material
- Stainless steel
Stainless steel is durable and lasts long. It is safe to be washed in the dishwasher and is ideal for browning food. Hence this makes it suitable for roasting your favorite root vegetables. These sheet pans are however tougher to clean.
Ceramic baking sheets are easy to clean and look great on the table. They are a true oven to table pan. Ceramic baking sheets don't react with ingredients though they are prone to a few chips. Since roasting vegetables requires high temperatures, many ceramic pans can't handle the heat hence you'll need to look for those capable of withstanding the temperatures required.
- Cast Iron
Cast Iron baking sheets can withstand high heat and are built to last. They are heavy and can often react to certain ingredients. Though they don't have the best heat distribution and can take longer to heat up, they do make up for it with their non-stick surface and their ability to hold heat better and for longer periods of time. In terms of maintenance, consider one with an enamel coating as it also makes it dishwasher safe.
- Carbon Steel
A carbon steel sheet pan is somewhat similar to a cast iron pan. However, it is more affordable and lightweight. It does though react with acidic ingredients like a tomato that strips its patina. Thus look for a coated pan if you want to avoid this.
The thicker your sheet pan, the better your meal will turn out once you take it out of the oven.
Though thicker sheets are not fast heating, they do ensure even cooking and regulated heating, thus preventing hot spots.
When it comes to the thickness of pans, a good rule of thumb is the lower the indicated gauge, the thicker the pan. When considering the pan to roast vegetables, look for the general build quality alongside the thickness. Always remember, the lower the gauge, the better.
Coating in kitchen bakeware helps ensure that there's better distribution and also makes cleaning easier. If you're a purist who prefers not to have your meals darken, you'd prefer a pan with no coating. This is because darkening occurs due to the darker shades of coatings.
There's nothing wrong with roasting vegetables in coated sheet pans; they, however, cook better in uncoated ones. This is because the coated non-stick one absorb and radiates more heat hence resulting in darker food.
If considering a non-stick sheet pan, ensure that there's no BPA, PTFE, or PFOA label as they could release toxins into year meals.
Sudden temperatures combined with poor edging can cause your sheet pan to warp. This can be due to rapid heating or cooling or poor construction of the sheet pan. Some sheets pans are designed with rolling edges.
These help reinforce around the rim and significantly reduce the chances of your sheet pan warping when there are sudden changes in cooking temperature.
e) Size and Accessories
Ideally, a 9-by-13-inch roasting pan is a good sized pan that can be used for various purposes. When looking for a roasting pan, consider one that is about 2 inches high as it's easier to toss the vegetables while roasting. A pan with handles will make it easier to toss the vegetables and later, for easy serving. At the same time, a lid traps heat and prevents the roasted veggies from over-browning.
Finding the perfect baking sheet doesn't count if it can't fit in your oven. It's important to measure your oven's size and determine the appropriate size according to your oven's manual.
A rack helps cool the dish down and allows you to layer your ingredients easily. With a suitable rack, you roasted vegetables can come out tasty without being overcooked. You can use aluminum foil or parchment paper, and this makes cleaning a lot easier.
Sometimes, the hardest part of preparing a meal is cleaning after. Especially when it gets all sticky and hard to scrub. There are several ways to make cleaning easy. For instance, you could get yourself a non-stick coated baking sheet pan, look for one that's dishwasher safe or make use of parchment paper.
Frequently Asked Question About Half Sheet Pans (FAQ)
What is the difference between a cookie sheet and a half sheet pan?
Half-sheet pans measure 18-by-13 inches, and their sides are about one inch high. These pans are ideal for roasting vegetables since they have plenty of surface area. This gives them room to brown and cooks through evenly.
A cookie sheet pan has one raised side which is usually slanted outward and has three flat edges. This allows air to circulate around easily hence allowing the cookies to cook evenly and faster. Cookie sheets are usually insulated, and this prevents the bottom from browning. They are not ideal for cooking/roasting meat as the juices can seep out.