Sometimes, the meat you get from the store or butchery could be so tough that not even the heat will make it easier to chew. Fortunately, there is a simple solution for this. With the best meat tenderizer, you can pound or cut your meat to a soft and easy-to-cook state.
There are hundreds of meat tenderizers online, but only a few are really worth mentioning. This article explores the best meat tenderizers and what to look for when making your choice.
Let's get started!
1. Jaccard Blade Meat Tenderizer
- Original Hand Held Meat Tenderizer: Reduces cooking time by up to 40% and provides pathway for marinades to be absorbed deeper into the meat...
- Commercial Meat Tenderizer: The meat tenderizer has double sided razor-sharp stainless-steel knives that effortlessly cut through the...
- Steak Tenderizer, Meat Tenderizer: Achieve better cooking results from less expensive cuts of meat with the original multi-blade hand-held...
- 48 Blade Meat Tenderizer: Enhances any type of meat, including but not limited to beef, pork, veal, chicken, venison and fowl; Incredible...
- Achieve better cooking results from less expensive cuts of meat with the multi-blade hand-held meat tenderizer
The best meat tenderizer on the market is the Jaccard Meat Tenderizer which can reduce the time necessary to properly cook your steak. It achieves this by creating small heat channels that will cause the meat to cook faster. This handheld tool will also pave the way for your marinades to seep deeper into the meat to make it soft and tender. It is a great choice for both home use and professional applications.
This meat tenderizer features a double-edged set of knives made from stainless steel. This makes this Jaccard product great for cutting through the tough connective tissue in meat. With multiple blades, this tool will give you tender cuts of meat for better results in the kitchen at an affordable price. Whether it's beef, veal, pork, venison, or fowl, you'll get flavorful cuts that you'll enjoy eating.
If you want to retain the natural juices of chicken breasts or even cooking, this is the best meat tenderizer for you. It has an ergonomic design that makes it easy to hold and use without your hands getting fatigued quickly.
2. NEW OXO Good Grips Meat Tenderizer
- Two-in-one tool for pounding and tenderizing poultry, pork and beef
- Textured side has pyramid-shaped teeth ideal for tenderizing meat
- Smooth side maximizes surface area to flatten meat quickly
- Angle and weight of head are optimized for efficient flattening
- Soft, non-slip grips for comfort and safety, even in wet hands
Next up, we have the New OXO Good Grips meat tenderizer, which ranks second among the best meat tenderizers you can invest in. It has two sides, one meant for pounding and the other tenderizing. It is an effective tool for beef, chicken, pork, veal, and much more.
This tool has a textured side with pyramid-shaped teeth that can easily tenderize cuts of meat without using too much effort. The flat side has a larger surface area designed for pounding meat flat in no time. You can enjoy soft and fast-cooking steak with the OXO Good Grips product because it is optimized for meat tenderizing.
The handle is comfortable thanks to the ergonomic design, and you can rest assured that it won't slip from your hand as you work because of the soft non-slip grips. They are included to ensure maximum comfort and safety even if your hands are wet. The materials used to make this meat tenderizer are safe for food thanks to the BPA plastic and stainless steel core.
After using this tool, you can enjoy an easy time cleaning it since it is dishwasher safe.
3. Spring Chef Meat Tenderizer
- Tenderizes Meat Quickly - Say goodbye to hard-to-bite-and-chew meat once you start using this meat tenderizer. It reduces your prep and...
- Brings Out the Juicy Flavors - Tired of tough and bland meat? Maximize your dishes' natural taste by using this meat mallet. It helps bring...
- Comes with Comfortable Handles - This kitchen mallet also comes with non-slip, soft handles that are easy to hold. Let gravity do the work,...
- Built to Last - An excellent addition to your kitchen essentials, our meat pounder comes with a solid-weighted aluminum head and chrome...
- Versatile Meat Hammer - Always keep this multi-purpose meat masher on hand. Aside from tenderizing meat, you can also use it to crush...
Your third option among the best meat tenderizers is the Spring Chef heavy-duty hammer and chicken pounder. If you are looking to reduce the time needed for preparing your steak, this chef meat tenderizer will do it for you. It can flatten and tenderize your meat to make it juicy, flavorful, and easy to cook.
As you pound your chicken breasts or steak with this Spring Chef product, you will make it possible for your spices and seasonings to penetrate through the fibers for a soft and better-tasting meal. Thanks to the heavy-duty build of this tool, you won't need a strong swing to tenderize your meat. All you'll have to do is lift the mallet, and gravity will handle the rest of the job.
The handle has a soft grip that is great even for people with dexterity problems like arthritis. One side of this tool is smooth for pounding the meat flat, while the other side is textured for tenderizing your meat. The Spring Chef Meat Tenderizer is a versatile item and can also loosen frozen vegetables, garlic skin, crush garlic and nuts, break up ice cubes and prepare cracked crab.
4. Norpro Meat Tenderizer
- Measures: 7.5" x 2" x 2" / 19cm x 5cm x 5cm
- This tenderizer will improve the texture and the taste of poultry, fish or beef, while also hastening the cooking time.
- 24 stainless-steel prongs break down tough meat fibers and connective tissues and allows marinade to absorb faster into meat creating...
- Heavy duty spring action mechanism controls action.
- Hand washing recommended.
The Norpro Meat Tenderizer is a needle-style tenderizer that will enhance the texture, taste, and cooking of your beef, fish, or poultry. Thanks to the 24 stainless steel prongs in this tool, you can penetrate tough fibers and tissues to help marinade absorb faster into the meat. This will improve your results to give you a better taste and softer meat.
This Norpro item uses a spring-action mechanism designed to give you better control as the spikes press into the steak. The prongs are so sharp that they can cut through thick cuts of meat without needing so much strength from your hand. It is one of the easiest kitchen tools to use and has a handle that is comfortable to hold.
5. JY COOKMENT Meat Tenderizer
- TO BE A PROFESSIONAL CHEF-This meat tenderizer can creates tiny channels within the meat and break down the connective tissues which make...
- EASY TO USE AND CONTROL- Our meat tenderizer is ergonomic design with a comfortable, non-slip handle. Simply press down on the top and the...
- REDUCE MARINADE & COOKING TIME- These tiny channels within the meat allow marinades to be fully absorbed into the meat in just about 5...
- EASY TO CLEAN- After using this meat tenderizer, just soak in warm soapy water after a few minutes and wash it.
- HIGH QUALITY JY COOKMENT-JY COOKMENT Brand with beautiful package, High quality can be as a good gift choose.
The last but in no way the least product on our list is the JY COOKMENT meat tenderizer, a professional-grade kitchen tool that you can use on tough and thick meat. It works by making small channels inside the steak or chicken to allow heat and marinades to seep through for quick and tasty meals.
It has a soft non-grip feature on the handle that makes it easier to use this tool even for people without a lot of hand strength. All you need to do is press on the top, and the sharp needles will do the rest. By the time you are done, your meat will taste better and cook more evenly without losing the natural flavor or juice.
After use, you won't have a hard time cleaning this meat tenderizer since soaking it in warm soapy water and handwashing it will do. This will only take a few minutes and won't take much of your energy. The stylish and elegant design of this tool will make a good addition to your kitchen while still being a functional choice which is why it's also one of the best meat tenderizers you can buy.
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Meat Tenderizers
1. Types of Meat Tenderizers
There are three primary styles meat tenderizers take; mallet, needle, or blade.
Mallets have a traditional style and have been used to tenderize chicken, steaks, pork, and other foods. They typically feature two sides, one meant for pounding and the other to break fibers apart. The pounding side is smooth and flat, which makes it ideal for flattening meat for even cooking. The other side is textured with pyramid-shaped bumps that can make the meat more tender.
As the name suggests, these meat tenderizers use sharp needles or spikes to pierce through the meat. They can go as deep as 1.5 to 2 inches and can create narrow channels that facilitate penetration of heat, seasonings, and spices. This helps food cook faster and improves the flavor of the meat. Needle-style meat tenderizers are not ideal for thin cuts of meat since the needles might end up slicing the meat apart instead of making it tender.
Blade tenderizers are somehow like needle-style tenderizers, but they feature a series of sharp blades cut through the muscle fibers to make the meat more tender. The blades are also responsible for making passages through which heat can reach deeper into the meat for faster and more even cooking.
The blades on blade-style meat tenderizers are designed to handle larger and thicker cuts of meat. This is because the blades are much wider than needles.
As you decide on the best meat tenderizer for you, you should consider the ease of cleaning. Since these kitchen tools are used to handle food, you must keep them clean and dry after use.
Mallets, along with some blade and needle-style units, are designed to be dishwasher safe. This means that you don't have to hand wash them; you can throw them into your dishwasher and take them out for drying.
For models that aren't safe for the dishwasher, you'll have to hand wash them or clean them with a brush. You have to ensure that the surface and spikes of your meat tenderizer are free from debris like small pieces of raw meat before you start washing them.
The handles of the meat tenderizer you select must allow you to use the tool without easily getting fatigued. You don't want a tenderizer that leaves your hands feeling sore and tired every time you use it. That is why the design and grip of your handle should be made to maximize comfort.
A soft non-slip grip running from the front to the end of the handle will make it easier for you to hold the meat tenderizer. This is especially vital in mallets since you'll have to swing them up and down. A comfortable build will make tenderizing large amounts of meat convenient.
4. Safety Features
Meat tenderizers are designed to efficiently cut and flatten tough meat, making them potentially dangerous to use since you can easily injure yourself during use. So, you will need to look for a model with various safety features that could help you avoid harm. Some of these features include;
- Retractable Blades
You'll find these on the blade and needle-type meat tenderizers. This function will keep the blades back in the best meat tenderizer when you are not applying pressure. By keeping the blades away when they are not necessary, you can prevent accidental cuts and piercings.
- Blade Locks
This function is also for needles and blades and works to keep them locked in place. Even if you unintentionally apply pressure on the tenderizer, the lock will keep the blades from coming out. You could alternatively lock the needles out if you are in a rush to tenderize your meat.
Guards are typically made from plastic and are designed to fit over the blade or mallet head to prevent injury by accidental contact.
5. Quality of Materials
Since your meat tenderizer will be handling various foods you prepare in your kitchen, the materials used to make it must be non-toxic. Most mallet meat tenderizers comprise metallic parts like a head made from stainless steel or aluminum. You will want to ensure these parts can remain free of corrosion or rust.
Needle and blade-type meat tenderizers are made of plastic bodies with stainless steel needles or blades. Stainless steel is a high-quality material that is safe for food with proper cleaning practices. The plastic should be BPA-free and shouldn't have any smell.
The quality of materials also determines the durability of your meat tenderizer. If your model is made of low-quality materials, it will only last through several uses before becoming blunt or ineffective. If the handle is made of weak plastic, it probably won't endure the weight and pressure you apply when tenderizing or pounding the meat.
So, if you are buying a meat tenderizer for long-term use, you'll want to make sure it's made of high-quality materials.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best meat tenderizer?
The Jaccard Blade Meat Tenderizer is the best option for softer and better-tasting meat.
2. What are 3 ways to tenderize meat?
You could tenderize meat with a mallet tenderizer, a blade-type tenderizer, or a needle-style meat tenderizer.
3. Does Coca-Cola tenderize meat?
Yes, Coca-Cola can tenderize meat since it has a high acidity that makes it ideal for breaking meat fibers apart without dissolving them.