Bamboo toothbrushes may come across to most people as a contemporary invention to substitute plastic toothbrushes, but that is not true at all. The fact remains that the first set of toothbrushes ever made and used were designed using bamboo, animal hair, and bone in the 7th century. And before that time, people used salt, rough cloths, chalk or twigs to remove plaques and stains from their teeth. Now we have technology and tonnes of dental care options to choose from. Also, plastic toothbrushes did not come into existence until 1938, and ever since its inception, billions of plastic toothbrushes have been made and used.
Purchasing bamboo toothbrushes instead of the plastic ones sets you on a one-way road to saving the planet significantly. We created a list of the 11 best bamboo toothbrushes available on the market. Click here to see it.
This type of toothbrush gained its popularity all around the world mainly because of its biodegradability. Disposed plastic would take up to a thousand years to decompose while bamboo decomposes just as fast as a branch of a tree. Just like our traditional toothbrushes, a bamboo toothbrush comes with a biodegradable bamboo handle and nylon bristles. There are also toothbrushes that have bristles made of natural materials. They are just as reliable and effective as plastic or electric toothbrushes.
Recently, more and more people are starting to understand the need to go green and reduce their carbon footprints, both the general public and the political sector are playing their roles to take care of the environment. People are now trying to recycle, eat less meat, patronize natural products, cut down on single-use plastics, and so on. There are so many things that you can do to contribute to saving our planet. However, what does a simple choice of your toothbrush have to do with pollution on our planet? The U.S. records over 1 billion disposed of plastic toothbrushes per year that contribute massively to plastic waste and pollution. This article will provide you with everything you need to know about the benefits of using bamboo toothbrushes.
What makes Bamboo toothbrushes environmentally friendly?
Bamboo is one of the fastest-growing plants in the world. Not only does it have an impressive growth rate, but it is also environmentally friendly and biodegradable. This implies that once you are done using your toothbrush, you can add it to the rest of your compost heap. It will decompose naturally without adding plastic to ocean waste. However, you should know that tossing your used bamboo toothbrush into the trash makes no better impact on Earth than plastic toothbrushes. Thus, you need to be sure to always pop your used toothbrush in the recycle bank or the compost heap for it to decompose and return to the soil. Plastic products, on the other hand, are non-degradable and may take up to 1000 years to decompose. Bamboo is also known to possess antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial properties, which makes it a perfect material to design a toothbrush. Bamboo toothbrushes are super hygienic and do not splinter. Thus, when you talk about eco-friendliness, these types of toothbrushes are a positive force in that field mainly because you can dispose of them after use.
How long do Bamboo toothbrushes last?
When properly taken care of, they will last just as long as regular plastic toothbrushes, if not longer. This can usually take up to 3 months. To properly take care of your toothbrush, always make sure to store it in a dry or cool place right after daily use. Wash and clean bristles thoroughly like you would like traditional toothbrushes.
Are Bamboo toothbrushes good for your health?
Bamboo toothbrushes have soft nylon bristles that are comfortable and gentle against the teeth, but at the same time firm for effective removal of plaques and stains like tea, coffee stains, red wine and food dye from your teeth.
For the best results, aim at brushing your teeth for two minutes, twice every day. This way, your toothbrush can keep your teeth healthy and in excellent condition. The American Dental Association recommends that you replace your toothbrush every three months or after recovering from an illness. Do well to replace your toothbrush regularly for healthy teeth. This type of toothbrushes come with numerous benefits that are unique and ideal for you and your family as compared to other toothbrushes. Below are some of bamboo toothbrush benefits.
- Eco-friendly: Both Bamboo and plastic toothbrushes are natural toothbrushes, but one major thing that differentiates them is that plastic is a non-biodegradable material and demands a lot of energy for its production. On the contrary, the bamboo toothbrush does not require a lot of natural resources for its production and eco-friendliness is the key focus. Its handles are completely made from bamboo, which can decompose in a short period when disposed of properly. It's nylon 4 bristles can also decompose in short periods or can be recycled after use, unlike plastic toothbrush bristles that are made from nylon 6 materials that are harmful chemicals and pose a threat to aquatic and even terrestrial animals.
- Sustainability: In most cases, the bamboo plant is termed as the fastest growing plant in the world, according to many resources. This is because bamboo takes very little time to grow every day, so we have no reason to run out of supply. It is said to grow over a yard every day, which is, in fact, over 3 feet every single day and a remarkable growth rate. With its antimicrobial property, the bamboo plant does not need pesticides or fertilizers for its growth, which also indicates that all these types of toothbrushes use organic materials for their growth.
- Mobility: Bamboo toothbrushes are sustainable for travel and can easily be carried about anywhere as compared to plastic and electric toothbrushes. This toothbrush has no need for electricity for its operation, so it eliminates any hassle about charging, and you are at liberty to take your toothbrushing activity wherever you want.
- Design and Aesthetics: these toothbrushes are stylish, unique and classy, and its biodegradable packaging contributes a lot when it comes to the total eco-friendly vibe the product depicts.
- Preserving oral hygiene: The bamboo plant naturally has antimicrobial properties that do not allow bacterial growth in your mouth. While brushing your teeth, these agents fight microbes to near perfection, but this does not mean you should not rinse your mouth after every brush. Plastic toothbrushes, on the other hand, are made with chemicals like polypropylene and polyethylene that have reported scenarios of chemicals seeping out. These chemicals, once in our bloodstream, can cause severe medical implications.
- It is not expensive: The good news is that there is a slight difference in pricing between bamboo toothbrushes and plastic toothbrushes. The bamboo one is less expensive than plastic toothbrushes. The only issue here is that bamboo ones are primarily sold online, so it is rare to find them in the supermarket.
- It is safe to burn: If you do not have a recycling bank or compost heap, another safe alternative to disposing of your used bamboo toothbrush is to burn it. Bamboo does not release any toxic gas or chemicals like nitrogen oxides and sulphur dioxide when burned.
In a Word
Generally, it is a safe thing to keep plastic toothbrushes as far away from your loved ones as possible to avoid health risks. At the end of it all, the most important thing is the planet and our environment. Because once it's affected, having clean teeth will be the least of your problems. bamboo toothbrushes are a healthier and more natural choice. Go green today.