Engel fridge not cooling? Check the fuse! This guide will tell you what size fuse you need for your Engel fridge.
Checkout this video:
Engel fridge freezers are some of the most popular on the market, thanks to their great features and durability. But one question that often comes up is: what size fuse do I need for an Engel fridge?
The answer can be found in the manual that came with your fridge, or by contacting Engel customer service. However, in general, you will need a 5-amp fuse for an Engel fridge. If you’re not sure where to find this information, or if you have any other questions about your fridge, be sure to contact Engel customer service for assistance.
What is a Fuse?
A fuse is a safety device that is used to protect an electrical circuit from damage due to overload or short circuit. The fuse is placed in the circuit in such a way that it will blow if the current in the circuit becomes too high. This will break the circuit and prevent the flow of current.
Types of Fuses
An Engel fridge can use one of two types of fuses: a standard ATC/ATO blade-type fuse, or a maxi-type fuse. Both types are available at most auto parts stores.
-Standard ATC/ATO Blade Fuse
This type of fuse is the most common and can be used for Engel fridges that have a 12-voltdc power cord with a cigarette lighter adapter plug, or for fridges that have a direct-wired connection to the vehicle’s battery.
This type of fuse is used for Engel fridges that have a 24-voltdc power cord with a plug that goes directly into the vehicle’s electrical system (no cigarette lighter adapter required). Maxi-fuses are available in different amps to match the Engel fridge’s power requirements.
How to Determine the Size of a Fuse
If you have an Engel fridge, you’ll need to use a specific size fuse. Engel recommends using a T2.5A size fuse for their fridges. You can usually find this size of fuse at your local hardware store. If you’re not sure what size fuse you need, you can check the manual for your fridge.
Determining the Size of a Fuse with a Multimeter
If you’re not sure what size fuse you need for an Engel fridge, you can use a multimeter to determine the correct size.
To do this, first turn off the power to the fridge. Then, remove the fuse from the fridge and connect the leads of the multimeter to the terminals on the fuse holder.
Set the multimeter to the “ohms” setting and check the reading. If it’s within the range listed on the Engel fridge’s data plate, then that’s the correct size fuse for your fridge.
How to Install a Fuse
Engel fridge fuses are available in different sizes. The most common size is the 10 amp fuse. The 20 amp and 30 amp fuses are also available, but they are not as common. The size of the fuse you need will depend on the size of the Engel fridge you have.
Installing a Fuse with a Fuse Tap
If you need to install a fuse with a fuse tap, follow these steps:
1. Select the proper sized fuse for your Engel fridge. The size of the fuse will be dependent on the amperage of your fridge. A general rule of thumb is that a fridge will use 1 amp for every 100 watts, so a fridge that uses 50 watts would need a 0.5 amp fuse.
2. Find the spot on your Engel fridge’s wiring harness where you will be attaching the fuse tap. This should be a spot where there is constant power, such as the battery connection point.
3. Strip about ½ inch of insulation from the wire using wire strippers. If there is already a bare wire at this point, you can skip this step.
4. Place the blade of the fuse tap over the bare wire, and then slide the body of the fuse tap over both the blade and wire until it is snug against the insulation.
5. Crimp the tab on the side of the fuse tap closed with needle nose pliers to secure it in place.
6. Screw the chosen size fuse into place in the top of the fuse tap until it is snug against the stop inside
18-gauge wire is the best size for an Engel fridge. If you’re unsure of what size to get, ask a professional for help.