Is Antifreeze Flammable?

Antifreeze is a common automotive product that is used to help vehicles operate in cold weather. It is important to know if this substance is flammable and how to properly handle it.

Checkout this video:


Antifreeze is a coolant used in car radiators to keep the engine from overheating. It is usually made from ethylene glycol or propylene glycol. Although it is not flammable, it can be hazardous if ingested.

What is Antifreeze?

Antifreeze is ethylene glycol or propylene glycol-based liquid that is used to lower the freezing point of water, preventing it from turning into ice. It is also used to raise the boiling point of water, making it an ideal coolant for car radiators and other similar applications. Although it is not flammable, antifreeze is poisonous if ingested, so it should be kept away from children and pets.

Antifreeze Composition

Antifreeze is a substance added to water or other fluids to lower the freezing point and prevent freezing. It is typically used in automobiles, but can also be found in other machinery and equipment that use water or coolant fluids. Antifreeze is usually composed of ethylene glycol or propylene glycol, but can also contain other chemicals.

While antifreeze is not flammable, it can be toxic if ingested. If you suspect that your vehicle has a leak, it is important to have it checked by a professional as soon as possible.

Antifreeze Flammability

Yes, antifreeze is flammable. In fact, it’s one of the most flammable liquids out there. If you’re working with antifreeze, be sure to take precautions to avoid any potential fire hazards.

Factors Affecting Antifreeze Flammability

It is a common misconception that all antifreeze is flammable. The truth is, antifreeze is only flammable under certain conditions. In order to understand why antifreeze may be flammable, it is important to first understand what antifreeze is and how it works.

Antifreeze is a type of coolant that is used in vehicles to keep the engine from overheating. It is typically made from a mixture of water and glycol or glycerin. Glycol and glycerin are both alcohols, which are types of molecules that are highly combustible.

When antifreeze is mixed with water, it lowers the freezing point of the water, which prevents the engine from freezing in cold weather. Antifreeze also raises the boiling point of the water, which prevents the engine from overheating in hot weather.

The flammability of antifreeze depends on several factors, including the concentration of alcohol in the mixture, the temperature of the mixture, and whether or not the mixture is diluted with water.

If the concentration of alcohol in the mixture is too high, or if the mixture is not diluted with enough water, then antifreeze can be highly flammable In some cases, even a small spark can cause the mixture to ignite and cause an explosion.

Additionally, if antifreeze becomes overheated, it can also become flammable. If you suspect that your vehicle’s cooling system may be leaking or if you see signs of overheating, it is important to have it inspected by a mechanic as soon as possible to prevent a fire from occurring.

Antifreeze Fire Safety

Is antifreeze flammable? The answer is no, however, it is highly combustible. Antifreeze is a fire hazard because it is highly flammable when mixed with other chemicals or when it comes into contact with an open flame.

When antifreeze is mixed with other chemicals, it can create a chemical reaction that is highly combustible. This means that if you are using antifreeze in your home, you should be very careful to keep it away from any open flames or other sources of heat.

If you are using antifreeze in an engine, you should be especially careful to keep it away from the spark plugs. If the antifreeze ignites, it can cause the engine to catch fire

If you are using antifreeze in your car, you should be sure to keep a fire extinguisher handy in case of an emergency.


In conclusion, yes antifreeze is flammable. However, it is not as flammable as some other liquids and chemicals. It is important to be aware of the dangers of fire when using and storing antifreeze.


There are many misconceptions about antifreeze, and one of the most common is that it is flammable. Antifreeze is actually not flammable, but it is combustible. This means that it can catch on fire, but it will not produce flames on its own.

Antifreeze is made up of two main chemicals: ethylene glycol and propylene glycol. Ethylene glycol is the chemical that gives antifreeze its sweet taste, and it is also what makes it poisonous to animals (and humans). Propylene glycol is the other main chemical in antifreeze, and it is much less toxic than ethylene glycol.

Antifreeze is used in many different products, including car radiators, engine coolants, and HVAC systems. It is also used in some cosmetics and cleaning products