One of the most time-consuming tasks in the kitchen is preparing fruits and vegetables. Using a knife for this task carries a high risk of injury and requires a slow and steady approach which can be unsuitable if you have a lot to do. Fortunately, you can make slicing your vegetables and fruits easier when you get the best mandoline slicer.
This post discusses the best mandoline slicers on the market and how to choose the ideal option for your kitchen.
Let's get started!
What is a Mandoline Slicer?
A mandoline slicer is a kitchen tool that features a flat frame and sharp blades which can be used for slicing vegetables. Thanks to the handy design of these utensils, you can finish slicing large amounts of foods within a short time and with minimum effort. A slicer is a great addition to your kitchen set and can help carry out various functions in your cooking space. Now that we know what a slicer is, let's look at the top 5 mandoline slicers.
1. OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer
- Sharp, V-shaped blade of hardened stainless steel easily slices both firm vegetables like potatoes and soft fruits like tomatoes with four...
- Straight and wavy blades for straight or crinkle cuts, and julienne blades for French Fries or fine julienne strips
- Food holder securely holds food and protects fingers, and textured runway keeps food from sticking
- Mandoline locks closed and feet fold in for safe and compact storage
- Soft handle and turning knob for comfort and non-slip feet for safety
In first place, we have the OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer, which is made from hardened stainless steel to deliver a sharp performance. You can use it on vegetables, fruits, and potatoes to achieve the slice thickness you desire in your food. A factor that makes this tool the best mandoline slicer is the availability of four different thickness settings it offers.
You can choose between straight, curved, and Julienne blades to get the shape you want in your veggies or french fries. You don't have to worry about finger safety since the food holder that the OXO Good Grips V-Blade slicer comes with can hold your food while protecting your fingers.
The soft handle is designed to provide additional grip comfort as you use this slicer. At the same time, the non-slip feet ensure the tool doesn't move about as you work, reducing the chances of accidental cuts. Plus, it's easy to maintain this slicer since it's dishwasher safe.
2. Swissmar Borner V-Slicer Plus Mandoline 5 Piece Set
- Set includes tough ABS plastic frame, food safety holder, 3 blade inserts, and storage caddy with locking clip
- Includes 7mm blade, 3.5mm blade, and thick/thin reversible slicing blade; slice different thicknesses, julienne, or shred
- Made in Germany, surgical-grade stainless-steel blades are incredibly sharp and snap in and out of base with 1 easy movement
- Ambidextrous Food Safety holder provides complete protection; prongs hold food while guard protects hands
- Protective storage caddy safely holds all components while not in use; easy to clean; rinse under running water after use
Next up is the Swissmar Borner V-Slicer Plus Mandoline, which is made in Germany. It's a safe item to use because it comes with a handguard to keep your hands and fingers safe when slicing your food. The three mandoline blades that come with this tool, including the V-Wave waffle slicer, provide flexibility to cut thick or thin slices depending on your preferences.
The blades are made from surgical-grade stainless steel, ensuring they stay super sharp for a long while. Since the plastic parts are made from ABS plastic, you don't have to worry about food safety when using the Swissmar Borner V-Slicer. It's easy to use this slicer since it features a snap-in and out movement that is convenient for slicing.
You'll get a storage caddy with this purchase which will provide a place to contain the various parts of the slicer when you aren't using it.
3. OXO Good Grips Chef's Mandoline Slicer 2.0
- Indicator window clearly displays Thickness setting from above in inches and millimeters
- Spring-loaded food holder features a wide rim to protect fingers and stores on underside of mandolin
- Soft, non-slip handle provides a comfortable grip
- Textured runway prevents food from sticking and parallel surfaces create even slices without wedging
- Japanese stainless steel blade is angled to slice even soft foods with ease
The third best option among the best mandoline slicers is the OXO Good Grips Chef's Mandoline Slicer 2.0, a professional-grade option. You can use it to make up to 21 different cuts of varying thickness thanks to the multiple thickness settings and two-sided blade. The Japanese stainless steel blade is built to deliver even slices of fruits or vegetables.
It comes with a spring-loaded food holder that has a broad rim to keep your fingers out of the blade's way. This means your fingers will be safe from injury as you use this OXO Good Grips item. Since the blade has two cutting sides, you can make straight or waffle cuts depending on the occasion.
The runway is textured to ensure the juices dripping from the foods you slice don't stick to the surface to reduce the amount of cleaning necessary after using this tool. The handle is soft and has a non-grip coating which makes it easy to hold and use this slicer to slice items.
4. Benriner Japanese Mandoline Slicer
- Benriner's Beige Jumbo mandolin slicer easily slices larger fruits and veggies into consistently sized pieces that cook evenly and look...
- Made from handcrafted Japanese Stainless Steel Blade and BPA-free plastic; Large open handle for Comfort with non-skid rubber base for added...
- Wide straight edge blade cuts larger produce into slices, like cabbage, melon, and more
- Safety guard holds smaller pieces to protect fingers; hooks onto bowls to collect slices; slices consistent thicknesses; disassembles for...
- Easy to use; Save time during food prep; make healthy snacks, garnishes, and more; Measures 13 x 6. 5-Inches; top-rack dishwasher safe
Another option among the best mandolines on the market is the Benriner Beige Mandoline, specially designed to cut larger fruits and veggies. This handheld mandoline features Japanese stainless steel blades, which are super sharp and can easily cut foods to deliver consistent sizes that can cook evenly.
The open design of the handle allows you to comfortably and securely hold this slicer during slicing sessions. Additionally, it provides a firm surface to grip on, which can help you work much faster to prepare cabbage, melons, and other larger produce.
It's easy to disassemble this slicer which makes it easier to clean. The rubber base has non-skid features to ensure it won't move around as you cut various items. Since this vegetable slicer has a hand-guard, you can relax since there'll be minimal chances of finger cuts and other injuries.
You can throw this kitchen tool in the top rack of your dishwasher if you want a convenient cleaning experience. The stainless steel blades and BPA plastic parts are safe to use for food preparation which is why this Benriner mandoline is among the best options for you.
5. Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Double-Edged Mandoline Slicer
- Achieve smooth, even perfect slices with the ceramic blade which is made from Kyocera proprietary zirconia material produced in Japan for...
- Ultra-sharp, pure advanced ceramic blades will maintain their edge up to 10x Longer than steel blades
- Lightweight and easy to use, the blade will not brown food, is rust-proof and resistant to acids
- Safe design features corner notches to secure over a bowl and includes handguard for protection
- Highly-rated slicer by epicurious
If you have to slice many vegetables, the best mandoline slicer is the Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Double-Edged Mandoline Slicer. This kitchen tool features a double slicer that you can use to make even slices within seconds with fewer hand movements. It has a lightweight build that makes it easy to use and convenient to store.
The ceramic blade is designed to stay sharp for longer than stainless steel blades, making it an ideal selection if you want a sharp blade performance. Plus, you don't have to worry about the ceramic material rusting or getting corroded by acids, juices, or other extracts found in the kitchen. This means that the Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Double-Edge Slicer is a durable selection.
It also comes with a hand-guard to keep your fingers away from harm, and the versatile design makes it suitable for a wide range of kitchen applications.
Types of Mandoline Slicers
There are three primary types of Mandolines, including French, V-shaped, and Japanese mandolines.
1. French Mandoline
The French mandoline carries a traditional design that comprises some metal parts and a straight blade that you'll have to assemble. As a result, setting this kitchen tool up can be a tedious task for some users.
Since French mandolines are durable, you can find them in commercial setups like restaurants which require a variety of blades. They aren't easy to use, and this makes them less popular than other mandoline slicers.
2. V-Shaped Mandoline
While the blade in a French or Japanese mandoline takes a specific angle, V-shaped mandoline slicers offer two different angles of cutting your food. This makes them an ideal choice for slicing round-shaped vegetables without using a lot of effort.
While the thickness can be adjusted, the blade is probably not interchangeable, making the V-shaped mandoline a less versatile option. It can be challenging to slice elongated veggies like cucumbers or carrots with this slicer, contrary to using a straight blade.
3. Japanese Mandoline
A Japanese mandoline offers a lighter, more compact build that is easy to use for slicing various items in the kitchen. You can comfortably control the diagonally-positioned blade to cut with high precision and consistency. Thanks to the sleek design, you don't need a lot of space to store it in your cooking space.
Japanese mandolines are durable and feature sharp blades that can retain their cutting edge for a long time. Plus, they are compatible with interchangeable blades, which increases their usefulness in the kitchen since you can explore various thickness settings.
Why is a Handheld Mandoline Slicer Better than a Kickstand Mandoline Slicer?
Your mandoline could be handheld or use a kickstand depending on its type and your preferences. A hand-held mandoline requires you to hold it in one hand as you use the other to move the fruit or vegetable about for slicing. Most people prefer a hand-held mandoline because of the level of control it offers to the user.
On the other hand, a kickstand mandoline uses a prop to support the tool so that you only use one hand to handle the slicing. Some consider this a safer option than handheld models, but this comes down to your personal preferences.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Mandoline Slicer
Your first thing to consider is the type of blade you want in your slicer. Your blade could take one of three forms; a Japanese, French, or V-shaped blade. Each blade can tackle a specific task and will deliver different shapes for the slices.
You can spice things up in the kitchen if you have extra blades that have different functions. A model that allows you to change the blades can be especially useful since it saves you from buying another slicer when the blade becomes dull.
2. Safety Features
Since mandoline slicers are cutting tools, there is always a risk of injury when slicing food. Fortunately, there are various features that can make a mandoline safer to use as a hand-guard.
The guard, also known as a food holder, can clip onto the food to avoid contact between the blades and your fingers as you slice food.
A plastic hand-guard is the ideal choice since it's lightweight and durable, unlike metal guards, which can be heavy and tedious to use. If the unit doesn't have a safety feature, you can use protective gloves to keep yourself from harm.
The first thing to keep in mind when considering the size of your slicer is the items you want to use it on. Vegetables come in various sizes, some being smaller or larger than others. Typically, a smaller mandoline is easier to control, making it a safe bet compared to larger ones that raise the risk of accidental cuts.
If you want to slice large foods with a small tool, you should cut the food into smaller pieces first. Plus, it's easier to store a compact slicer than a large and bulky one.
You should also think about the ease of cleaning the mandoline. Since there are more delicate parts than others, you'll want a model that you can quickly disassemble. This will allow you to enjoy a hands-free cleaning time for the dishwasher-safe parts or the entire slicer.
If the tool is hard to clean, it can easily get out of shape and become blunt or damaged. So, you'll want a slicer that you find easy to clean.
You can find a mandoline for as little as $10 or as expensive as $300. The low-budget options will probably feature a blade that will get dull within a short time, while the high-end models can last much longer. Of course, the materials used to make the slicer will determine the price, but the priciest slicers aren't always the best.
Additionally, high-budget mandoline slicers offer a lot of versatility to the users, which is another reason for the steep price. Either way, you don't want to compromise on quality since that could mean buying another mandolin slicer within months or weeks of use.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best mandoline to buy?
The OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer is the best slicer available.
2. Are mandolin slicers worth it?
Yes, they are worth it since they make it possible to slice vegetables within a shorter time than it would take when slicing them with a knife.
3. Do professional chefs use mandolins?
Professional chefs also use mandolins since they are useful utensils that help slice up foods faster than by hand.