Eczema can be frustrating, especially when it is on your scalp. This can leave a person with a constantly itchy scalp and severe dandruff issues. But just like there are lotions and medications to treat this skin issue on other parts of the body, there are also some pretty great shampoos that can be used to reduce or even get rid of the side effects of scalp eczema.
Some of these will be marketed as anti-dandruff or even specifically for psoriasis or eczema. These shampoos will not get rid of the condition but can be used to, as we have said, get rid of the side effects.
But there are a lot of options, and when you factor in that using shampoos designed for dandruff can also be used, the options expand even more. No one wants to sift through all of those, and that is why we did it for you.
We have chosen three of the best shampoos for eczema to take a good look at. Hopefully, one of the three will be the right one for you, and you can get some relief from those annoying symptoms.
Best Shampoos for Eczema Reviews
Wild Naturals Eczema Shampoo
The first entry on our list is one that is crafted to help fight dandruff caused by seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis. Wild Naturals uses high quality and natural ingredients to bring us this highly effective shampoo.
- 98% natural ingredients
- 80% organic
- Contains cehami extract & aloe
- 5.5 pH balanced
For those that are concerned with organic and all-natural ingredients, this shampoo from Wild Naturals is a great option. It is crafted with almost entirely natural and organic ingredients. Along with this, the shampoo is also perfectly balanced when it comes to pH and is gentle enough to be used at any age. The fragrance is light but pleasant, and we love that you can feel the results after the first use.
Even though there is a lot going for this shampoo, we still found fault with some things. The shampoo itself does not lather like some of the others. This may be disconcerting for those used to traditional shampoos. Other than that, the price of the shampoo maybe a little too much for some.
- Shampoos are made with almost 100% natural ingredients
- Formulated with a balanced pH for healthier hair and scalp
- Crafted to be gentle and safe no matter the age
- Designed to leave hair soft and smelling good
- Results are almost instantaneously noticed once used
- Some may find the price a little steep
- Issues with the quality of lathering
MG217 Psoriasis 2-in-1 Shampoo & Conditioner
For those who have a hectic life, having a shampoo that can treat their eczema and condition simultaneously is a nice option. Not only does this MG217 shampoo/conditioner do this, but it does it well, and that is why we included it on this list.
- 3% salicylic acid
- Shampoo & conditioner in one
- Includes chamomile extract & panthenol
- Approved by the National Psoriasis foundation
2-in-1 shampoos are often not as impactful as using an individual product. This can be especially true when dealing with a skin condition, but this shampoo/conditioner doesn’t fall into that trap at all. It is crafted with high-quality ingredients, including coal tar and chamomile extract. The inclusion of some of these ingredients helps the product not only heal the damage done but can help prevent any more. We love the lather quality as well as the fact that the bottle size is perfect.
One thing that falls both into the pros and cons is the smell. Some like the herbal fragrance of the formula, while others are not as into it. This means that the issue is not universal and should play only a small role in your final decision. The only other concern we have is that the result is not consistent. Its performance of the formula really depends on how severe your eczema is.
- The fragrance is herbal and pleasant to smell
- Formula uses 3% coal tar to reduce flaking
- Size of the bottle is nice and will last
- Crafted to not only heal but to prevent eczema
- Shampoo lathers up very easily and well
- Some may find the scent a little too herbal
- Results will vary depending on the severity of the eczema
Free & Clear Medicated Shampoo
Our last shampoo is a medicated option from Vanicream. This Free & Clear formula will allow you to go longer between washes, which may help with eczema.
- OTC strength Zinc Pyrithione
- pH balanced
Unfortunately, having manageable and hydrated hair is something that is not always in the cards when dealing with a shampoo made for treating scalp eczema. But this formula from Vanicream actually brings with it these benefits as one of the best features of the product. The formula itself is crafted with non-harsh ingredients that are perfectly balanced. The pH balance allows this to be used on even the most sensitive skin. Plus, it’s fragrance-free!
Of course, there are some drawbacks to this shampoo. It is not one that you can use every day. This means you will have to spend more money on another shampoo if you have oily skin and need to wash your hair more frequently.
The process of shampooing also takes a little longer. This is because the shampoo must sit on your head and hair for a few minutes before rinsing for it to be fully effective.
- The formula does not contain any harsh toxins or contaminates
- A perfect balance of ingredients for sensitive skin
- When used, hair is left manageable and nice
- Lack of fragrance is great for those with fragrance sensitivity
- The shampoo does not dry out hair
- Issues with it not being an everyday shampoo
- Has to sit in the hair before being rinsed
No one wants to have to deal with all the redness, itchiness, and flakes associated with scalp eczema. It can be annoying and sometimes embarrassing. But you don’t have to, as you have seen.
There are plenty of great shampoos out there that are crafted to help with all of these. For instance, the three options we chose as the best shampoos for eczema that we looked at above. We hope that this quick review has helped you with your problems.