The best photo storage box will help keep your prints or photos organized and safe for decades under damage-free conditions. These airtight storage containers will protect your photos from dust or moisture, and when stored in a dark room, they also prevent discoloration and damage from the sun.
We have analyzed different brands, picked the top ones for photo storage boxes, and provided some factors to consider while purchasing the best one for your needs. Read on, make your memories, and organize your pictures with these handy storage boxes!
Why Should You Get a Photo Storage Box?
The main purpose of a photo storage box is often to provide a place to store photographs safely and securely. They also protect the photos from damage caused by dust, light, rodents, or spills. In addition, boxes will give your photos longevity and help them maintain their attractive appearance.
Image Credits: hgtvhome.sndimg.com
Again the photo storage boxes come in different visually appealing designs, patterns, and colors, meaning you can easily find one that suits your home decor theme. The boxes are also available at affordable prices, which is awesome because you can buy many photo storage boxes cheaply.
Furthermore, photo storage boxes can also be used to store and preserve other items securely. For example, you can use them to keep items like stationery supplies, baking supplies, small toys, and small medical organizers.
With that understanding, let's dive in and look at the best photo storage boxes you can purchase to organize and preserve your memories safely.
1. Novelinks Photo Case 4" x 6" Photos Storage Containers Box for Photos
- 1. The perfect solution to Organize & Store Photographs, Craft Supplies, important pictures and office supplies. The 4x6 photo cases keep...
- 2. Snap-tight closures keep the contents secure, and protect your pictures or family photos. Extra depth allows for storage of larger.
- 3. Includes 16 of the 4" x 6" photo cases, each case holds 100 photos, holds up to 1600 4" x 6" photos, convenience to use and take with.
- 4. Exterior Box Dimensions: 12.0 x 14.8 x 5.1 inches. Photo Case Dimensions: 4.75 x 6.70 x 1.23 inches.
- 5. Not easy to break, strong load-bearing.
If you desire the best archival storage box, we recommend the Novelinks photo storage box. This storage solution has a simple and elegant design that does an amazing job at protecting your 4 by 6 prints. Besides, it has tight closures that provide a tight snap on both the inner and primary containers.
Image Credits: Novelinks.com
With these archival storage boxes, we got 16 individual cases that can hold up to 1oo photos each, meaning more storage space. Thanks to the many plastic transparent multicolored inner boxes, we could sort our images by occasion, family member, or month, making it easier to find a specific photo.
Additionally, all the inner cases fit perfectly in the large container, which is clear, allowing us to see the inside without opening. We also noticed that the individual cases also have label spots in case we need to use a label maker to indicate the case contents.
2. Pioneer Photo Albums Photo Storage Box
- Solid black only
- Heavy duty storage box
- Metal identification plate
- Index cards included
- Photo safe: acid free
Pioneer Photo Storage Box is another top-of-the-list storage solution that we highly recommend. Our pioneer photo storage box was pretty affordable and came in nine different colors, so we got to pick one that suited our decor. Furthermore, these storage boxes are specifically designed to help maintain the quality of our photos.
Image Credits: PioneerPhotoAlbums.com
This reliable photo storage also included a metal identification plate on the front, allowing us to label it easily for better organization. Again it came with index cards for better organizing the box's interior. Besides, the photo storage boxes are made of acid-free board, which will keep our photos safe.
In addition to storing photos, we like them since we can use them for storing and preserving newspaper clippings, greeting cards, wedding keepsakes, office supplies, craft supplies, baseball or football cards, postcards, and other souvenirs. These cardboard boxes also had lids that fit perfectly to keep out dust and moisture.
3. Saizone 6925AA Semi Satchel Portable Art & Craft Organizer
- Art Storage Satchel: this craft supplies box help you to organize, store and protect your art and crafts supplies such as card stock,...
- Material Used: this craft supplies organizer is made from acid-free polypropylene. It is durable enough to resist wear & tear. Three...
- Design: this art supplies container features one open core compartment with rounded edges to protect corners of scrapbooking papers/sheets....
- Smart Closure: this storage satchel comes with snap-tight closures to keep the contents secured. Plastic handle makes it easy to carry the...
- Specifications: Semi Satchel Box measures 15.2 x 8 x 6.2 in. The single compartment box with aqua accents is ideal for storing bulkier craft...
Saizone Semi Satchel Portable Art and Craft organizer is another storage organizer you can count on. Our plastic box came with smaller boxes that hold 4×6-inch photos efficiently. In addition, it is designed with acid-free polypropylene, making it perfect for the archival storage of sensitive documents and photos.
Image Credits: scottsofstow.co.uk
It also allowed us to sort our prints into sections based on categories like people on the photos and the place or time the photos were taken, making it easy to browse through photos when we are looking for a specific photo or document. Furthermore, it had a tightly snapping latch to protect our family photos.
We also found that the plastic used to design the photo boxes is hard and resistant to wear and tear. However, since plastic is a fairly new material for photo storage, at least compared to paper and wood, we don't know how plastic interacts with photographs for over a century. Regardless, so far, so good.
4. Photo Storage Box 4x6 Pictures, Barhon 18 Inner Seed Storage Organizer
- Large Capacity Photo Case Holder: Comes with 18 inner photo cases, each one is large enough for up to 100 photos, stores up to 1800 4" x 6"...
- Not Just For Photos: The plastic storage container box not only can help effectively organize, store and protect your precious picture,...
- Double Protection: Featured with snap-tight closures of each individual boxes and latches of the outer container, this picture storage...
- Ultra Sturdy & Durable: Made from acid-free polypropylene, this craft supplies organizer is not easy to break, serves for more than 5 years....
- Product Size: Exterior box size 14.25 x 10.6 x 4.72 inches. Photo Cases size 4.75 x 6.70 x 1.23 inches.
Barhon 18 Inner Storage box is another amazing option we recommend for shoppers looking to safely store precious photos and especially older ones that are more fragile. Similar to other options we have looked at above, the Barton Photo Storage Box has individual organizational cases that allow us to store up to 1800 4 by 6 photos conveniently.
Image Credit: hgtvhome.sndimg.com
These best photo storage boxes also come with an outer case and inner cases that feature tight clasps, with a double layer of protection for the images within. This way, our important documents and photos are kept secure and protected from being damaged by external elements.
What's more, we loved that this photo storage box did not only help us organize or store our precious pictures or photographs but was also adequate for arranging garden seeds, game cards, greeting cards, index cards, and board games. Furthermore, the box is made from acid-free polypropylene, is quite difficult to break, and will absorb the impact should it take a tumble off a high surface.
5. IDekooror Photo Box Storage and Craft Keeper
- EXTRA LARGE CAPACITY: External Storage Case Dimensions: 16" L x 13.5" W x 6" H, Internal Photo Case Dimensions: 7" L x 5" W x 1" H. One...
- STURDY AND DURABLE: Our photo storage box is constructed of easy-to-clean acid-free plastic construction making it ultra sturdy & durable,...
- EASY TO GET ITEMS YOU NEED: The transparent design of the IDekooror photo organizer allows you to instantly find any stored item from any...
- SAFE AND DUSTPROOF: The secure latch securely closes the Craft Supply Box, separating the inside and outside. Prevents dust and liquid from...
- WIDELY USE: Our clear storage container is not only just for photograph storage but also good for craft supplies, office supplies, garden...
If you want photo storage boxes with extra capacity, we recommend getting the IDekooror photo case. Our photo box has 18 inner photo keepers that allow for 5 by 7-inch photos, with each internal case holding between 100 to 120 photos. This means we can conveniently store between 1800 to 2000 photos using this storage solution.
Image Credits: backyardthriving.com
We loved that the photo boxes are designed with an acid-free plastic material that allows us to conveniently store photos, documents, and prints while protecting them. Additionally, it comes with a transparent and elegant design that allows us to easily locate our photos from any angle.
Besides, the storage boxes come with a secure latch that securely and safely closes the box, protecting the inside from dust or any liquids. We also appreciate that the storage container is super easy to clean since we only need to wipe it with a damp cloth when need be.
Factors to Consider Before Purchasing the Best Photo Storage Boxes
Image Credits: skufetch.com
When shopping for the best photo box, you must ensure that you get a box with a well-built design. In addition, different materials will impact the longevity of your photos. Most of the photo boxes on our list are designed with acid-free plastic material, which will keep your photos looking as good as new.
However, other materials are used to make the storage boxes, including wood and cardboard. Like the plastic options, most cardboard boxes are acid-free and go the extra mile to block light that could damage photos. Wood is more stylish but will not have the added benefit of it being acid-free.
The other vital factor you need to remember is the size. Storage boxes come in numerous sizes and will hold different numbers of photos. For example, many photo boxes will hold 6 by 6 inches photos, the standard-size photo. However, you will definitely find some that hold smaller or larger photo sizes.
Again the storage containers will have different photo capacities. Some will hold up to 1000 photos, while others will hold up to 2000 photos. Ensure the photo storage container can fit your prints without overfilling, with room for keeping additional memories.
As we mentioned earlier, the main purpose of purchasing a photo container is to ensure that your photos are stored in a safe and organized manner. However, you should also consider the design of the box you want to buy, especially if you want to store it in a visible place at your home.
Elegant and clear boxes will look attractive and will add to your decor. However, the appearance will not be as important for those placing their storage boxes in attics or storage rooms.
How to Properly Store Old Photographs in a Storage Box
Protecting photographs or prints can overwhelm you and is not as easy as storing them in a shoe box or placing them in the attic. You must follow a few steps to easily organize your photos in a photo storage box.
Step 1: Create a Workspace
Image Credits: simplyspaced.com
You will need to clean and clear space to help organize your photos, depending on how many photos you have. A donning area is usually a convenient space to work with if you don't have any other space available
Step 2: Gloves
Once you have located and cleaned your designated space, you must handle your photos wearing gloves to avoid damaging them. Nylon or white cotton gloves are usually the best for this kind of work.
Step 3: Organize Your Photos
When you are all set, you will carefully organize your photos according to their categories. For instance, you can organize them by occasion, date, or specific people in the photos.
Step 4: Store the Photos in a Storage Container or Box
Image Credits: fixthephoto.com
You will pick the container you intend to use to store the photos and store them in the different compartments inside the storage box. You can keep your photos flat or standing upright, depending on the size and style of your box.
Step 5: Label
When all the photos are stored properly in their different compartments, you can label them according to the various categories. Most storage containers will provide index cards for labeling. Remember, you should not write directly on prints to avoid damaging photographs in the short and long run.
Step 6: Store the Storage Box
Image Credits: simplyspaced.com
After storing your photos and everything is set, you will need to find a perfect place to store your archival boxes. Ideally, you should look for a cool, dry place. Closets and cabinets are always ideal for storing your boxes. However, basements or attics are not recommended because of the fluctuation of temperatures.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Photo Storage Boxes
1. Is it safe to store photos in plastic bins?
Yes, storing photos in a plastic storage box is safe. Actually, most of the storage boxes today are made from durable plastic material and do a fantastic job protecting photos. One weakness of plastic material is that it might let the light shine into the box, which can negatively affect photos over time. However, placing them in a dark closet can help.
2. How do you store thousands of old photos?
You can store photographs in storage containers and layer sheets of acid-free paper between them to prevent damage. Then when they are well organized in the box, you can safely keep the box in a closet.
Featured Image Credits: thesprucecrafts.com