A faucet water filtration system is an affordable way of getting healthy drinking water. The filters are effective at removing contaminants and blocking them from water sources. The best faucet water filters remove most contaminants in the water and can remove up to 70 contaminants and as result produces tasting water that is similar to bottled water.
There are a variety of types such as the under the sink faucet, carafes, countertop varieties, and faucet mount filter attachments. Faucet mount filters are installed directly to your tap and when you open the tap, water comes out purified.
Below are some of the reviews of our best faucet water filters with a buying guide and benefits of faucet water that will enable you to make an informed decision.
How Faucet water filters work
Most sink faucet filters are a Point of Use(POI) filtration system as they do not have their own storage tanks and produce water on demand. When you switch on the faucet, the filter immediately produces filtered water and there is no waste experienced as all the water that goes through the filter comes out as clean and healthy drinking water.
Some faucets come with their own faucet and storage tank that stores approximately gallons of water such as the reverse osmosis water filters. You can install the kitchen faucet water filtration system on your own to the faucet of your kitchen sink or you can hire a handyman.
5 Best Faucet filters
1. Culligan FM 25
- Provide your family with visibly clean, great-tasting water for drinking, cooking and more
- FEATURES: Reduces atrazine, chlorine, lindane, lead, particulates class I, turbidity and bad taste/odor; Carbon block filtration method;...
- COMPATIBILITY: Includes adapters for all standard sink nozzles (does NOT fit drop-down faucets)
- FILTER LIFE: Up to 2 months or 200 gallons, depending on usage and water conditions
- CERTIFICATION: Tested and certified by IAPMO against ANSI Standard 42 and 53
Culligan FM 25 is among the best faucet water filter on Amazon which has over 4000 reviews. It uses a carbon block which works well with getting rid of unpleasant water taste and odors. However, the carbon of Culligan FM 25 does get damaged by hot water so this faucet water filter is not recommended for a hot water faucet.
The water filter is installed in less than 10minutes and can fit all standard faucets. Customers say that Culligan FM 25 faucet mount filter is a bit difficult to open the housing to remove the cartridge.
- Culligan FM 25 is a high capacity filter of 200 gallons
- Quite easy to install
- Auto-off switch
- The activated carbon filter is of a high performance
- The filter replacement is tedious
- Does not work well with hot water
- Not the best for well water
2. PUR FM-4100B 3-Stage Advanced Faucet Water Filtration System
The chrome-finished design of the Pur faucet-mounted water purifier is one of the best selling models and also produces healthy and excellent tasting water. Pur Faucet filter comes with bonus features like Bluetooth connectivity which tells you exactly what you are drinking through an app and the device can be installed quite easily.
Apart from offering you water updates, the application also tracks your water intake while showing you how much money you are saving. Pur faucet water filtration system also has a filter change sensor that notifies you when it is time to change the cartridges. It comes with an instruction manual that is easy to follow and guides you through the filtration process step by step.
- Offers great value as a high-performance 3-stage water filtration
- Durable casing
- Easy to install with just one click
- Has an accurate filter change sensor and indicator
- The plastic housing can easily break
3. Brita on Tap Faucet Water Filter System
- This complete Brita faucet water filter attaches to your standard faucet making tap water cleaner* and great-tasting; filtration system is...
- Get great-tasting water without the waste; by switching to Brita, you can save money and replace 1800 single-use water bottles** per year
- The space efficient design attaches directly to your faucet to give you a choice of 3 convenient spray options for everyday needs –...
- Reduce 99% of lead, chlorine (taste and odor), asbestos, particulates, Benzene, and more; a helpful status indicator lets you know when to...
- Replace your faucet mount water filter every 100 gallons or approximately every 4 months to keep water tasting great; this tap water filter...
Brita on Tap faucet water Filter system guarantees the filtered water will be as fresh and tasty as bottled water after the water filter system works its magic. This tap faucet water filter can be used for approximately 2 to 3months. The tap water filter has an orange indicator light that flashes when it's time to replace it.
- 100 gallons of water per filter
- Brita Tap water filter has three spray options
- NSF certified
- Has small tap faucet water filters and thus don't take a lot of space
- Good tasting water as water filter system Brita tap water filter removes bad tastes and smells from the water
- Has a white sleek finish with an LED indicator
- A faulty light sensor as the filter sensor dies quickly
- Has a low-quality plastic connector
4. Waterdrop 320-Gallon
- NSF certifications: Tested and certified by NSF International against NSF/ANSI standard 42 for the reduction of chlorine, taste and odor,...
- Longer filter life: Each faucet filter provides 320 gallons of cleaner water, or 3 months of typical use - that’s 2x longer than most...
- Lead reduction: The innovative ACF material features great and fast filtration. You will fill up 4 water bottles (16.9 oz for each) in 1...
- Convenient usage: The design of a simple switch between quality filtered water and regular tap water helps prolong the service life of the...
- Important note: Works with standard faucets. Does not fit pull-out, hand-held, spray style faucets or faucets with sensor. Please verify if...
Waterdrop company is a competitive brand yet new in the market with products that range from water filter pitcher, under the sink to faucet-mount water filter and at an affordable price. Waterdrop faucet filter claims to remove up to 93% of the chlorine using the activated carbon filter. It features a 6stage faucet water filter system and each cartridge generates a maximum of 320 gallons of filtered water.
- The filter is very longlasting
- The Waterdrop faucet filter has certified against NSF/ANSI standards
- 0.5 GPM steady water flow
- The mesh stops large particles from passing through
- It is made in China
- This water filter will not filter out the iron
5. DuPont WFFM100XCH Premier Faucet
- High performance filtration and better tasting water in one convenient filter
- Includes filter which reduces sediment, chlorine, cysts, linden, benzene, asbestos, mercury and lead
- Improves the taste, odor and clarity of your water
- Micro ban Antimicrobial product protection built-in to cartridge housing and media for improved filter life
- Easily attaches to standard kitchen faucets
DuPont WFFM100XCH Premier Faucet is the best affordable faucet water filter that removes the most popular contaminants such as lead, mercury, chlorine asbestos, etc. The faucet filter system comes with all the things needed for installation. The faucet mount filter lasts approximately 2 to 3months and is WQA certified.
- Durable material and therefore does not break easily
- Quite affordable
- Improves the odor and water taste
- NSF certified
- It is vertical
- WQA certified filter
- Gets rid of chlorine and VOCs
- The filter life is on the shorter side
- It is prone to leakage
- It doesn't remove lead from water
- The manual does not mention where the Teflon tape should be used
What features to look for when purchasing a faucet water filter
1. Filter Capacity
The basic faucet water filters have a capacity of around 100-200 gallons of water and last 2-6 months depending on your water usage and also the impurities level. For families, the best faucet water filter capacity is one with around 700-2000 but is a bit more expensive.
2. Filter Change Indicator and Sensor
This helps to easily tell you when you need to replace the faucet filter instead of going through the trouble of guessing. Most faucet water filter models use a small light that indicates when the filter exhausts the end of its life. Some models actually count the number of gallons you have used with an electronic meter.
3. 360-degree Swivel
The ability to swivel 360 degrees makes the filter quite easy to use but this can be used with only the faucet water filters that mount on the faucet and not the countertop faucet ones.
4. Different finishes
Faucet water filters usually come in different finishes and you should be able to easily find a finish that matches your current appliances and fixtures. The most common finish is chrome which easily blends with your kitchen while matching with the faucet. Try to choose a finish that matches your kitchen faucet. Avoid choosing white plastic finishes as the color hardly matches anything in the kitchens.
Most sizes of the faucet water filters are almost the same. The size of the filter matters because it is related to the water filter cartridge's size. The larger the size of the cartridge, the larger the filter. The size does not affect how the filter works just important for you to know how much space will be occupied.
6. Filter Cartridges
Filter cartridges are very crucial in any faucet water filter as they are responsible for removing any contaminants from your drinking water and thus you should have more information about them before making any purchase.
They remove up to 70 contaminants from your drinking water however they have a limited lifespan which you are notified of with the filter change sensor that comes with most models. Models that don't have the sensor most of the time use periodic filter changes of either 1, 2, or 3months. Always follow the manufacturer's recommendation of filter change.
This might be an important consideration that some customers may overlook. Ensure you check how expensive the replacement cartridges are of the model you want to purchase. Some are quite expensive while others are cheap and as a result lowering your maintenance costs.
Types of Faucet Water Filters
1. Facet Mount Water Filters
These are the most common types of water filters and you don't need lines or tubes because the faucet filter is a compact unit that is mounted on the faucet. These faucet mount filters use up small spaces and can be installed and maintained easily. A major downside is their capacity is 100 gallons of water or 200 gallons and not more.
2. Activated Carbon Faucet Filters
Depending on the model, activated carbon filters can remove a lot of contaminants from your drinking water at a slightly cheaper price, and also the models are quite convenient to use. A carbon filter usually removes contaminants from the water using a carbon block cartridge.
These filters work great for reducing any organic chemicals or chlorine and can also remove cysts and fine sediments. However, activated carbon does not easily neutralize germs and bacterias and also does not remove dissolved solids like iron and magnesium. These faucet water filters are sensitive to high temperatures and cannot be installed on a hot water faucet.
3. Countertop Faucet Filters
If you are looking for a high capacity filter, a countertop faucet filter is the best faucet for the job. The installation and maintenance are simple as the tubes directly connect to the faucet just like in the faucet-mount filters.
The main filter sits on the counter with tubes and brings water to it and takes it back to the faucet. They perform quite well because they have bigger filters that capture more impurities and they also last longer and need to be replaced once a year. To boost performance, some models use multiple filters as many as 10 at a go. A disadvantage of this is that they are costly and also need counter space
4. Reverse Osmosis Faucet Filters
For any high-performance faucet water filter system, a reverse osmosis faucet filter is the best. This is considered the best in water filtration systems which remove even the smallest contaminants during the filtration process which are hard to catch, for example, perchlorate and arsenic.
This faucet filter removes heavy metals and chemicals while removing harmful microorganisms. However, these filters are very expensive and bulky.
Benefits of Faucet Water Filters
1. Provides safe and clean water
The filter's purpose is to get rid of any contaminants or minerals in the water and thus making it clean and safe to drink it from your faucet. Drinking clean water removes chemicals that might be harmful to any of your family members.
Using the faucet water filters will block any contaminants from entering your drinking water whether you are getting the water from a tested well water source or a municipal water source.
2. Easy to Install
Some people are afraid to try the faucet water filter because they think it will be difficult to set up. Faucet water filters are easy to install and set up and sometimes can be installed in less than 5minutes.
3. Saves you some money
Buying a faucet water filter will save you the money you have been using to purchase plastic bottles of water and you will only need to refill the water bottle from the faucet water if you need water.
4. One can choose between filtered and unfiltered water
Some customers like deciding when to choose filtered and unfiltered water on separate occasions. With a faucet water filter, you can be able to choose your preference.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best faucet water filter to buy?
According to our faucet water filter reviews, the best faucet water system is the PUR FM-4100B
2. Do faucet water filters really work?
Yes, the best faucet water filters work by making water taste and smell better and at the same time getting rid of any impurities.
3. Which water filter removes the most contaminants?
The reverse osmosis water filtration systems are the strongest and most effective filters filtering water up to 99% of the most dangerous contaminants.
4. Is Pur or Brita faucet filter better?
Both of them do a great job of filtering most of the harmful contaminants but the PUR drinking water filter does a thorough job removing over 70 contaminants while the Brita drinking water filter removes 60 contaminants.